Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I've had some time to play around with my USB-C drive and I can confirm my 2021 Yukon Denali has NO issues playing .mkv files. I mostly have .mkv files on my computer anyway, so I loaded one up for the heck of it, tried it on my RSE in the Denali and it played like a champ. I then loaded four other movies for a total of five, all 720p bluray rips, .mkv and again I had no issues. Both screens could see the drive and all five movies in which each screen could play the same movie or two different movies at the same time.

osboco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see all of the work you put in and that looks awesome! I did similar, just stashed a firestick and 500gb flash drive with tons of shows and movies.

One issue I am having, the factory (GMC) headphones seem to not work unless directly in front of the screen. Our previous Yukon and Traverse the headphones could be anywhere in the vehicle. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

tlockhart

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to figure out what's going on then! None of my MKV files will even populate in the Yukon. It might have something to do with so many folders.

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to figure out what's going on then! None of my MKV files will even populate in the Yukon. It might have something to do with so many folders.

I didn't use folders, just renamed the .mkv file to the movie title, and dropped them all on the drive. Agree folders would be ideal.

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you just hooked up your drive to the USB-C port and the RSE was able to recognize the drive and display the contents on the drive? Such as the movies and you can select to the file you want and play the movie? Guessing MP4 is the most common format for the video files.
I am using the USB port for video playback and it seems to only recognize .mp4 movies. What DVD copy software did you use to get your DVD movies onto your drive in mp4 format?

Last edited:

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am using the USB port for video playback and it seems to only recognize .mp4 movies. What DVD copy software did you use to get your DVD movies onto your drive in mp4 format?

I'm not using .mp4 format, just .mkv as it produces a much better video/sound file than mp4's.

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not using .mp4 format, just .mkv as it produces a much better video/sound file than mp4's.
I made some home movies using Abobe Premiere. Those played correctly. I was looking for software to copy my DVDs to a drive for use in the truck.

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made some home movies using Abobe Premiere. Those played correctly. I was looking for software to copy my DVDs to a drive for use in the truck.

Good idea on the Premiere. 99% of my movies I download and they are already in the .mkv format, so the work is already done.

Trh913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone get the GM RSE app to work with a 2021 vehicle? Just got a new 2021 Suburban and I downloaded the app but it says to connect to the rear seat entertainment wifi connection?! I have no idea what this means because I have a fire stick plugged in and both screens are connected to the cars wifi! My phone is also connected to the same wifi so what the h*ll is this app talking about????

cdye1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my setup with the Amazon Firestick. I tried tucking it behind the drivers seat with double sided 3M sticky pads but it kept falling down. This setup has survived the two kids climbing in and out the past 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 19997431-0731-423E-8820-E4AB76ACA519.jpeg
    19997431-0731-423E-8820-E4AB76ACA519.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 136

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stank hammer

Latest posts