Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George And

Reaction score
I put a 250gb ssd in the front USB-C port of mine, for music, no movies, and it seems stuck on "media indexing" it actually worked OK the first couple times but since then it will play a folder I had selected prior repeatedly but i can't seem to navigate the drive. Occasionally it doesn't seem to acknowledge the drive at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

George

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, it just blows my mind that GM is basically forcing you to buy the LTE hotspot for any operability that is worthwhile.

I’ve posted numerous gripes on the RSE, the overall lack of Apple support for airplay is my biggest, but also the placement of the HDMI ports, the power issues with autoshut (I know it can be shut off but...)

Even with all these gripes - the fact that GM didn’t integrate some native OS that allowed apps to run natively and independently on these screens is just absurd.

By the end of the year there are going to be many of us 21 owners with RSE that will have HDMI ports broken from the kids kicking protruding cables or firesticks or rokus. I just don’t get their execution on this at all, I regret the option as my three younger kids would rather use their iPads than the RSE at this point.

End Rant. LOL

I completely agree. I have been using my phones hotspot with our Roku, and its been working great. I was expecting something a little more integrated and user friendly. I mean for almost 70k, they could have built a better OS platform.

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pauliepucks, I have read other threads and posts with similar concerns.

I have posted how I am using the RSE with 2 fire sticks, one on each side for each child to enjoy. It has worked really well without any glitches.

In regards to the auto button that turns off the power port in the back.. it can be frustrating as the driver basically has to remember to turn it off. I learned from a different post that there is a solution to this. Instead of powering your devices from the outlet, use a USB to USB-c to get power from the USB c ports in the back. This will work for Firestick owners as you will not lose power if the truck shuts off at a red light.

I am not sure if this works for ROKU as I don’t know how that hooks up.

I hope this helps some.

BTW, my kids are 12 and 14 and have not had an issue with the cords in the back....yet..

This is how we are running our Roku. I did purchase the 90 degree HDMI adaptor, kids kick it every time they climb in. I have ran the power cord from the Roku alongside the console into the console to the USB power port.

Brett776

Reaction score
Those of you running movies from a hard drive, where the heck do you download the movies ? I tried to download the ones I own on Vudu with no luck. Maybe iTunes ? I’d love for my kid to be able to watch the typical Moana, cars, etc.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Those of you running movies from a hard drive, where the heck do you download the movies ? I tried to download the ones I own on Vudu with no luck. Maybe iTunes ? I’d love for my kid to be able to watch the typical Moana, cars, etc.
I believe most of those who have done it owned the physical DVD media and used software like handbrake to rip the disc to a hard drive. Painstaking task for 30-40 movies

Muskoka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Again, it just blows my mind that GM is basically forcing you to buy the LTE hotspot for any operability that is worthwhile.

I’ve posted numerous gripes on the RSE, the overall lack of Apple support for airplay is my biggest, but also the placement of the HDMI ports, the power issues with autoshut (I know it can be shut off but...)

Even with all these gripes - the fact that GM didn’t integrate some native OS that allowed apps to run natively and independently on these screens is just absurd.

By the end of the year there are going to be many of us 21 owners with RSE that will have HDMI ports broken from the kids kicking protruding cables or firesticks or rokus. I just don’t get their execution on this at all, I regret the option as my three younger kids would rather use their iPads than the RSE at this point.

End Rant. LOL
Totally Agree with you!
If I had known what a pain in the Ass this system was I would have just eliminated the rear entertainment and bought two iPads and mounts for a heck of a lot cheaper. This RSE does not connect with apple devices wirelessly it seems.

I am trying to connect through the GM RSE app on my iPhone but I don’t know the password tot he rear entertainment WIFI (I have the password for the SUV wifi).

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those that are using a drive to store movies and play on the RSE, do you need any other device, such as the Roku to play the files? Or can I just simply hookup the drive via USB-C and play directly from the RSE by navigating to the files on the screen?

I wasn't sure if you needed additional software to play the movies files or if the RSE could play them directly. Also, what format are you guys using to store and play the files? I mostly keep .mkv on my computer.

Thank you.

tlockhart

Reaction score
I use a drive, and just browse, however your .mkv files will not play. Just about every other video format does, but no mkv's.

The system won't even recognize the file.

Starbuckpga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use a drive, and just browse, however your .mkv files will not play. Just about every other video format does, but no mkv's.

The system won't even recognize the file.

So you just hooked up your drive to the USB-C port and the RSE was able to recognize the drive and display the contents on the drive? Such as the movies and you can select to the file you want and play the movie? Guessing MP4 is the most common format for the video files.

JWAustinVTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

End Rant. LOL

I feel you! A big step back in usability from our 2015 Suburban. My RSE goes unused...

You couldn't place the HDMI and power ports in a worse spot. We had the ROKU stick and even with the 90 degree adapters they got kicked and broken. The headphones are pretty bad too.

Doesn't seem like it would take much effort to include a wireless mirroring technology that actually worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr