Uggg do I have front carrier bearings going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2009 Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L - AWD - 105k (I've owned it since 90k)

Last weekend - no sounds, no problems.
Driving home from a trip - 2-3 hour drive - exiting the hwy I hear a grinding/whirring/howling noise. Almost feels like a drag on the whole drive-train.

I research here - it's like anything on the internet - it ends with cancer.

I need the truck for a trip in a few days - and it's my daily driver. So I take it in to my mechanic. No time for me to mess with this on my own.

Turns out the right front wheel bearing is making noise, the left bearing also (but not quite as much). Seems like the transfer case is acting wierd, but we discuss fixing the bearings first.

After both left and right front wheel bearings replaced, fluid changed in the front diff, fluid checked in transfer case and rear diff (good) - everything is quiet and running smooth.

So, for me it was both front wheel bearings and for good measure changed the front diff fluid.

$1400.

That is all.

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read on here that you an replace just the bearings - I was told it could only be the whole bearing assembly, with new abs sensor, etc. Could I have just pressed in new bearings into the old assembly?

And with that - should I be regularly repacking the wheel bearings so this does not happen again?

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel bearings are actually a hub assembly which comes with the ABS sensor inside them. $1400 for a front differential service and two wheel bearings ouch! My Timken factory OEM front hub assemblies cost me $145 each.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, hubs are not bad to change either. Biggest issue was finding a 36mm socket deep enough for the CV shaft nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts