TVS or Whipple on 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking the same. I am trying to find out from Magnuson what would have to change on the blower for it to fit square port heads if I ended up changing.

There are adapters you can run to convert either way.

My experience daily driving a 4.8 with tvs1900 is that it's exactly what you've always wanted power wise. Idle, cruise and light throttle is as stock as stock can be. But the more you push that pedal the more it starts huffing and puffing. It's not like some turbo cars I've been in where continued part throttle suddenly takes off as if it were WOT or is jerky and not happy at part throttle.

I really want a 6.2 as well.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks.

Maybe I can order for square ports and buy plates then.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...blower first all day.

Looks like you've already got a cam, so afm is deleted , and headers. Do some fueling mods and pulley it down for more boost. if youve already got ported cathedral heads i would just stick with them even if you go larger displacement , prob wont see much of a difference going to a stock square port.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some info from the magnuson instructions.

Is this already some kind of spacer plate they include to make sure the blower is up higher? If so, I could just eliminate these and put the LSA adapter plates in and order square port blower.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...blower first all day.

Looks like you've already got a cam, so afm is deleted , and headers. Do some fueling mods and pulley it down for more boost. if youve already got ported cathedral heads i would just stick with them even if you go larger displacement , prob wont see much of a difference going to a stock square port.

I need to do my fuel pump soon. Was thinking I'd try to retrofit an aeromotive 340 in.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading over the instructions, looks like the kits are identical outside of the spacer plate for the 5.3 which I assume is to clear the DOD valley cover (which I don't have). Only other discrepancy I saw is the 5.3 instructions have you grinding down the alternator bracket for some reason, but not on the 6.2.

I also saw no required pinning of the crank, which I found odd.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading over the instructions, looks like the kits are identical outside of the spacer plate for the 5.3 which I assume is to clear the DOD valley cover (which I don't have). Only other discrepancy I saw is the 5.3 instructions have you grinding down the alternator bracket for some reason, but not on the 6.2.

I also saw no required pinning of the crank, which I found odd.

I had to grind the alternator bracket down but that's easy. I ran up to 19psi on my 4.8 without a pinned crank. But that's pure luck and a ticking time bomb just like a G80 or 4l60.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it must be because the supercharger is lifted up a bit over the 6.2. Since I am going to lift mine up anyway with the adapters, I'll plan on that step.

I will just order the 6.2 kit and buy separate spacer plates.

That's a crazy amount of boost, sounds fun man! I'm just looking to run in the high 13's here. I will roll with stock boost then pin the crank myself when I do a blower cam.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it must be because the supercharger is lifted up a bit over the 6.2. Since I am going to lift mine up anyway with the adapters, I'll plan on that step.

I will just order the 6.2 kit and buy separate spacer plates.

That's a crazy amount of boost, sounds fun man! I'm just looking to run in the high 13's here. I will roll with stock boost then pin the crank myself when I do a blower cam.

It was fun but boost is really only a measure of how much air the engine cannot consume. Same blower and setup on my 6.0 only made 9psi due to bigger displacement and more efficient heads and cam and yada yada. The 6.0 setup is wayyyyy faster even thought the blower is the same.

Anyway for a DD the blower is awesome and no matter what engine you put it on you will be happy. Just do it right or face the consequences. Pins kits are cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9