Turning off rear door locks' ability to lock driver doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like WTF GM? Really makes you wonder wth these guys are thinking.These trucks are meant fo people with kids.SMH!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like WTF GM? Really makes you wonder wth these guys are thinking.These trucks are meant fo people with kids.SMH!
I really see this as less of a design issue and more of a user issue. To me, actually, the way it is designed right now makes the most sense.

Let’s explore it the exact opposite way. Let’s say you got out of your vehicle to gas up, the boogie man comes, assaults you, your kid sees it happen, wants to lock the doors so boogie man doesn’t get him/her too…If GM doesn’t let that button lock all the doors…what happens? Kidnapping, assult on the kid?? Then maybe you or a sue happy lawyer wants to make someone pay, and GM has all the money…class action. Lawyer gets rich, every SUV owner gets $100, and we all crab about the ever increasing cost of these vehicles…just sayin.

So if you are the engineer, employed by GM, which way do you design it?

Back in the days of the manual door lock; maybe you will remember, the little chrome plated thing that looked like a golf tee, that was on the door sill near the B pillar. Kids could easily push that thing down and lock out the parents.

I did it once to my mom when I was about 5. Then after that, she made it crystal clear to me that it wasn’t ok to do so. Aside from being a little tough to sit down for the next hour or so; there were no ill affects to me. As a matter of fact; the positive in the experience was that I learned (the hard way) to respect what my mother said to me. She’s 77 now; I still love and respect her.

yourmomsshlong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the child door lock switch is on the drivers door switch now, but it only stops the door from being opened from the inside, does nothing to the locking switch it's self.
just pull the door panel off and unplug the switch, put door panel back on if it is of grave concern. later you can just plug it back in.
will take you a few minutes to do.
Wrong. It is gone from the driver's door panel too.20221205_112721.jpg

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive is right; the child safety lock (cannot open the door from the inside door handle) is still on the rear doors in my 23 suburban.

The original focus of my question was on adjusting the electric power lock buttons on rear passenger doors so they wouldn't lock/unlock the entire vehicle - only that specific door. It seems this cannot be adjusted short of messing with the wiring.

Unfortunately there's nothing to do about it except teach the kids not to mess with the door locks if they don't want to have to touch the tailpipe as a consequence for doing so.

And hope Google/GM unlock more customization options in future Android Automotive updates that could enable drivers to choose how they want the car to function.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive is right; the child safety lock (cannot open the door from the inside door handle) is still on the rear doors in my 23 suburban.

The original focus of my question was on adjusting the electric power lock buttons on rear passenger doors so they wouldn't lock/unlock the entire vehicle - only that specific door. It seems this cannot be adjusted short of messing with the wiring.

Unfortunately there's nothing to do about it except teach the kids not to mess with the door locks if they don't want to have to touch the tailpipe as a consequence for doing so.

And hope Google/GM unlock more customization options in future Android Automotive updates that could enable drivers to choose how they want the car to function.
it did get off track there, short of discipline you could pull the door panel and pull out the plug, there are probably other safety related reasons why the door lock would not be able to be disabled, one that comes to mind is a child locked in a vehicle even a very young child could likely be coaxed into hitting a button
on my 18 "if" the child lock is not engaged you can simply pull the inside door handle twice and the door will unlock and open, that works on the front doors also
on my 12 it does not, you have to either hit the button or lift the lock tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia