Tuning out afm and cam swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This.

Something else to consider: For example, in my case, I don't wanna dump $1,500 into a 200K-mile 5.3. Sure, it runs strong, doesn't smoke, etc., But still. For around $2,000, I can get a LY6 or maybe even L9H and swap it in just as easily (probably more easily, actually) and have more power with OEM reliability and no wonky lifters.

So a L9H would swap into a 2007 Tahoe LT with minimal other modifications?

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So either delete the physical parts with a VVT delete kit or use the L9H harness and retain VVT. With the proper ECU flash of course.
I think the other factor is the MAP sensor correct? If retaining recipient vehicle harness should I use the 5.3 MAP? Any other sensors that need special attention?
Are most of the accessories, oil pan and odds & ends interchangeable between the 5.3 and 6.2?
This swap need it's own sticky thread, lol

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe, and after reading here, I'm getting so!d on the idea of a AFM delete, cam and lifter replacement. Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how much it cost? Also, any ideas where to get it done in the DC area?
Im in the DC area as well and thinking about a mild cam too... so if you get info on a good shop locally def would appreciate the info.

jlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This.

Something else to consider: For example, in my case, I don't wanna dump $1,500 into a 200K-mile 5.3. Sure, it runs strong, doesn't smoke, etc., But still. For around $2,000, I can get a LY6 or maybe even L9H and swap it in just as easily (probably more easily, actually) and have more power with OEM reliability and no wonky lifters.
After my dad had to replace his 07 6.2L at around 150k, I've begun to wonder if this isn't the best long term approach. Is the general consensus around here that the non-AFM 6.2L is as reliable as the 6.0L and 5.3L that run 300k or more in the NBS trucks?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my dad had to replace his 07 6.2L at around 150k, I've begun to wonder if this isn't the best long term approach. Is the general consensus around here that the non-AFM 6.2L is as reliable as the 6.0L and 5.3L that run 300k or more in the NBS trucks?

Yep. The latest AFM parts are quite reliable too.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or use the ECM and wiring harness from the donor to retain VVT.

Do you know if the harnesses are essentially identical other than the circuit for the VVT? I'm wondering if the donor harness is a direct swap with just that one extra circuit for the cam phaser. Or, if there are other differences (relocated sesnor(s), extra or deleted sensor(s), etc.), could I cut just the VVT wires from the donor truck harness and add them to my existing harness, pin them in the PCM plug and have a VVT-equipped program flashed to the PCM? I have nothing against VVT, but AFM can go suck an egg.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pretty much. It's the same motor but with a few small improvements (namely a 58X reluctor for more accurate fuel and ignition timing) that lost it's reliability status only from the advent of AFM.

The latest AFM parts are quite reliable too.

This may be so. But if I'm into a motor that deep or have a replacement on a stand, I'm gonna delete AFM altogether and know for sure it'll never be a problem rather than "upgrade" the AFM components with the latest design and still just have to hope for the best.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the harnesses are essentially identical other than the circuit for the VVT? I'm wondering if the donor harness is a direct swap with just that one extra circuit for the cam phaser. Or, if there are other differences (relocated sesnor(s), extra or deleted sensor(s), etc.), could I cut just the VVT wires from the donor truck harness and add them to my existing harness, pin them in the PCM plug and have a VVT-equipped program flashed to the PCM? I have nothing against VVT, but AFM can go suck an egg.

I have read over on the Performance Trucks forum of guys adding the VVT wiring to their older harnesses but I think they used the donor's computer; not 100% sure anymore.

VVT does more for gas mileage than AFM or even the 6-speed. My 2006 Pontiac Montana had a 240 horsepower V6 with VVT and that thing got 23 mpg @ 77 mph and 21 mpg @ 90 mph and 21 mph @ 72 mph. This was essentially the same mileage as the older engine which made 180 horsepower and did not have VVT. However, the 2004 got its best mileage at 72 mph whereas the other one was more efficient a higher speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924