Tune Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to get a seized plug out of aluminum? I use anti seize on aluminum all the time. You just need to adjust your torque values if you're using a torque wrench. I build Harley's and use stainless fasteners and if you don't use anti seize you'll never get the engines apart again.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what your saying, but I've put in a lot of helicoils over the years from guys that overtightened and stripped the threads. The problem is when you're using universals in a tight area which can affect the torque setting. It's always the "Maybe I should give it one more little twist". The worst I use to see were the amount of pan gasket bolts being broken in the block, because nobody ever thinks they are tight enough.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use a torque wrench on plugs, just 1/2 turn past snug like you mentioned. I try to find torque values for anti-seize applications when using it or if I can't locate it, I deduct 15% from torque values when using a torque wrench. But people do need to understand that anti-seize makes it easier to over torque. Sometimes removing seized plugs strips the threads too because you have 2 different metals touching. Proceed with caution as they say!

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's worked for me in the past has been warming up the motor a little first, just have to be careful of the exhaust manifolds. Just try to break them all free first, then go back and finish them.
I was a Toyota mechanic 30+ years ago and used to see even our own tech strip heads from over torquing. Their 20R motor was the most bullet proof 4 banger ever made. I had one that went almost 400K miles with only needing a valve job.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that tech never worked on any of my cars. Seriously just need common sense. Like I said, I've built many Harley motors and they're put together with Allen head bolts. I'm not even a professional mechanic and I've installed hundreds of small to medium stainless steel Allen head bolts into aluminum motors. With anti seize and a torque wrench using inch- pounds. Never stripped one. A mechanic stripping a plug with or without antiseize should find another profession because he obviously doesn't have a feel for what he's doing.

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any opinions on the Belden wires? My mechanic recommended them this afternoon, bc of the lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AC Delco 41-110 then? That's the plug I want for my '01 Tahoe 5.3?

I've got to get them on order. Need to do these this weekend if I can squeeze it in.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to see stripped heads at least once a month from overzealous backyard mechanics. The techs we had that did it were usually fresh ones right out of school that were trying to do as many jobs as possible in a day. It is definitely one product that a little goes a long way.

Make sure you put a little dielectric grease inside the spark plug boot and they will slip on like butter and will usually help get them off down the road. I usually put a little on a Q-Tip and coat the first 1/4" of the boot. You can do the same at the distributor cap too. You don't need to use much of that either. It's usually a 3 beer job

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
AC Delco 41-110 then? That's the plug I want for my '01 Tahoe 5.3?

I've got to get them on order. Need to do these this weekend if I can squeeze it in.

Thats it. Amazon will tell you its the wrong one though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia