Truck's gone crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyZuni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. I have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali with 220,000 miles. Went out to start the other day and the abs light , battery light and check engine light were on the dash. In addition the radio was not working and the drivers door switch did'nt work at all no windows , locks, mirror control or keyless entry. I pulled the neg cable left off 2 hours reinstalled and all the issues disappeared. Wow thought it was fixed, well next day went to start and the same thing happened, again i removed the neg cable and replaced and again all the items returned to normal. Any ideas would be appreciated since at this point I'm clueless except maybe a BCM problem.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ignition switch went on my 1997 Yukon (RIP), but I did not get all of the flashing lights. It just would not engage the starter to turn the motor over. I recognize that your truck is a different platform, and it may have different reactions to a bad ignition switch.

Before changing out parts, I suggest that you first load test your battery (on the bench and not in the truck) to ensure that it is up to par. Then, I suggest that you check all ground connections in the engine well, both the chassis ground connections, as well as the motor block ground connections, to ensure that they are clean and tight. Poor ground connections can raise all kinds oh H-e-l-l with these trucks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF.

Also check the battery cables themselves. They have a tendency to rot from the inside out, and moving them around (as done by disconnecting them) can make a bad connection temporarily good.

OP
OP
C

CrazyZuni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My ignition switch went on my 1997 Yukon (RIP), but I did not get all of the flashing lights. It just would not engage the starter to turn the motor over. I recognize that your truck is a different platform, and it may have different reactions to a bad ignition switch.

Before changing out parts, I suggest that you first load test your battery (on the bench and not in the truck) to ensure that it is up to par. Then, I suggest that you check all ground connections in the engine well, both the chassis ground connections, as well as the motor block ground connections, to ensure that they are clean and tight. Poor ground connections can raise all kinds oh H-e-l-l with these trucks.
Hi, thanks for the info, I just bought the battery 2 weeks ago and I recently checked and recently checked and replaced 2 ground wires. Yesterday I ordered a new ignition switch . Guess I'll see what happens.

OP
OP
C

CrazyZuni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF.

Also check the battery cables themselves. They have a tendency to rot from the inside out, and moving them around (as done by disconnecting them) can make a bad connection temporarily good.
Hi, This is the next thing I'm going to check just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit Thanks...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you got this ignition switch: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D142...child=1&keywords=D1426D&qid=1634232198&sr=8-3

Instead of a Dorman or Standard switch. Check all the grounds: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

Those battery cables can corrode from inside the insulation. Check all wiring connections at the starter solenoid as well.
be sure you only get the ACDelco on these..

You can get them from your local Advance Auto Parts too..

Edit: And its cheaper thru Advance than Amazon

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
be sure you only get the ACDelco on these..

You can get them from your local Advance Auto Parts too..

Edit: And its cheaper thru Advance than Amazon
I paid just under $65 for mine at Amazon with free delivery. Any day I can keep from driving around this hell hole of a town, with all the homeless, and idiot drivers and sometimes unknowing parts counter guys and save the fuel usage and wear and tear on my rig and costs me $15 more, I am all over that. I do understand the savings though.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid just under $65 for mine at Amazon with free delivery. Any day I can keep from driving around this hell hole of a town, with all the homeless, and idiot drivers and sometimes unknowing parts counter guys and save the fuel usage and wear and tear on my rig and costs me $15 more, I am all over that. I do understand the savings though.
I can completely understand that.. My personal issue is, I have gotten China Knock Offs twice from Amazon, both were badged as ACDelco..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts