Trouble with Gas Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bub63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all I have a 98 Tahoe today the gas gauge started going back and forth from full to empty while driving when truck is off it goes to empty like always my question is how can I tell if it's sending unit or the gauge has gone bad ? Also is there places that will refurbish the gauge cluster ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have a 98 Tahoe today the gas gauge started going back and forth from full to empty while driving when truck is off it goes to empty like always my question is how can I tell if it's sending unit or the gauge has gone bad ? Also is there places that will refurbish the gauge cluster ?

Hook up a scan tool that shows live data. It'll show what the fuel level sensor is reporting to the ECM (and/or BCM?). If the gauge continues to swing randomly but the scan tool consistently shows the actual fuel level, then the gauge or the circuitry feeding it is faulty. If the gauge and scan tool concur, then you know it's the sensor or the wiring in between. It could be a faulty (intermittent) connection in the harness (signal wire, ground, reference voltage, etc.) and not necessarily the level sensor itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts