Transmission radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2002 gmc yukon slt autoride 5.3 liter gas. I need to replace both cooler lines as they are dripping all over. Also the fluid looks like it is half water half a.t.f. How do you know if the radiator has gone dead on you?
I probably should not be driving this vehicle as well as i need to replace the transmission radiator and replace A.T.F in the Transmission.
Am I correct for doing this?

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2002 gmc yukon slt autoride 5.3 liter gas. I need to replace both cooler lines as they are dripping all over. Also the fluid looks like it is half water half a.t.f. How do you know if the radiator has gone dead on you?
I probably should not be driving this vehicle as well as i need to replace the transmission radiator and replace A.T.F in the Transmission.
Am I correct for doing this?
Why do you think there is water in the Atf?
The rad tranny cooler had been knowen to go and allow the fluids to get contaminated. Usually this will take out the transmission

OP
OP
crabbman

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you #1taho. I am a new owner and head mechanic for this S.U.V. Both Cooler lines about half way between Radiator and transmission are leaking too much. I have a Aluminum drip pan under vehicle, This is a great tool. I have collected a large sample of this fluid and it is orange in color and when you shake it it has alot of bubbles. This no where close to being A.T.F.F luid. Also I have had to replace Anti freeze fluid for the past couple of weeks and I add alot. What does this tell you? Bingo the main radiator is leaking on the inside and mixing with the A.T.F and Anti freeze. I have looked real hard with the Tranny dipstick and all it shows is the dark rose color and the feel of real oil. I feel I have not gotten the antifreeze contaminated into tranny. I will be doing a full A.T.F fluid change to verify. And yes I will buy the Main Radiator and Tranny Cooler Radiator for an install this Turkey week. And also two new cooler lines. Wish me well and hope I am right not wrong.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
From what you are telling me it sounds you are on the right track. it also sounds like you are in a snow belt ? that would explain the rottin cooler lines. when you change your fluid you will want to flush out the torque converter. you don't want any coolent going through the tranny, or anymore than already has. leave one of the tranny lines off and fill tranny and run for one min to flush the torque converter.
You are dropping the tranny pan and changing the filter right ?

OP
OP
crabbman

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. Thanks for the tip on tranny flushing. this helps.
Which tranny line do i not connect?
Good day.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Eh dont run the tranny dry.

If you want to do a "DIY flush" at home, you need to disconnect both cooler lines. One into an empty 5 gallon bucket (the discharge) and the other submerged into a clean bucket of fresh ATF (intake). Run it through all of the gears (with the brake applied) and then back up.
Run it at idle until almost all of the intake oil is gone.. Shut it off and reconnect the lines to the cooler.

**Drop the pan and change the filter beforehand.**

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy