Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
I have an 03’ Yukon Denali with the LQ4 and kicking around the idea of converting to 2WD. Just wondering what transmission will work for it? Forgive me if this is a dumb question. Kind of a newbie to this stuff.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans can be converted to 2WD, but the trans has to be taken completely apart. You can try and find a 2WD trans, but it has to be another 4L65 or your LQ4 will eat a 4L60 for lunch. You the would need to convert the front hubs to 2WD ones. After that, the computer may freak out not seeing the T-Case and you could run into issues with warning lights and reduced power mode.. but I'm sure that could be tuned out.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
The trans can be converted to 2WD, but the trans has to be taken completely apart. You can try and find a 2WD trans, but it has to be another 4L65 or your LQ4 will eat a 4L60 for lunch. You the would need to convert the front hubs to 2WD ones. After that, the computer may freak out not seeing the T-Case and you could run into issues with warning lights and reduced power mode.. but I'm sure that could be tuned out.
Ok. Yeah I didn’t know if I could just use a 2WD transmission or whatever. My 4L65 is almost shot. There’s almost 300k miles on it and the shifting is pretty lazy. A used one is surprisingly hard to come by where I’m at. Might just have to get mine rebuilt. The only reason for my idea of converting it is due to a concern with it going through CV axles. I lowered it recently and both my axles failed shortly after so I guess that brings up another question…if I put new axles on, will they fail due to the drop?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that it would be more trouble and cost to you than it would be worth. Folks more knowledgeable than me on this topic are already chiming in.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it currently selectable four wheel drive or is it all wheel drive?
If its selective i would just pull the cv shafts and front driveshaft and be done.
Awd poses othe issues to get around

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If its selective i would just pull the cv shafts and front driveshaft and be done.

If you pull the CV shafts be sure that your wheel bearings are the kind that won't fall apart without the axles in place.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Awd poses othe issues to get around
It’s AWD. Can I not just separate the CV shaft and leave it in the hub? Or will the front differential and T-case just fail?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could do that for the hubs, but I have no idea about the diff or T/C for AWD.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how the awd case will react. I THINK without the front end being attached there will be significant slippage in the case causing failure. Plus im not sure if there is a front shaft speed sensor to monitor traction, or if that is done through the abs.
If it is through the abs, you could maybe cheat and put a selective 4x4 case in place of the awd and keep you trans and rear shaft( 2 less things to replace).

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
I have no idea how the awd case will react. I THINK without the front end being attached there will be significant slippage in the case causing failure. Plus im not sure if there is a front shaft speed sensor to monitor traction, or if that is done through the abs.
If it is through the abs, you could maybe cheat and put a selective 4x4 case in place of the awd and keep you trans and rear shaft( 2 less things to replace).
Yeah I have no idea what to do. Running into more questions than answers. I’m pretty sure I’m just going to rebuild the engine and transmission. Both are on their last legs. The engine runs good but super high miles and it’s not gonna go forever.