Transmission Fluid change or Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I live in Monmouth county, where you at exactly? I know a guy. What are you looking to do to it?

Want to get the reverse issue diagnosed and fixed

get a fluid / filter change.

You have a normal guy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

Reaction score
If your trans is weak and probably ready to die, then a full flush can wash out the gunk in the seals and sometimes will hasten the death..........at least that's the theory. Your mechanic is probably using the power flush.

A complete, but more gentle flush can be done like this:
https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/how-to-4l60e-transmission-flush-filter-change.179148/

All the coolers and filter changes in the world are not as good as keeping you ATF bright red. The factory recommended service intervals for all lubes and filters tend to be for optimum conditions, and today are driven mostly by European standards, which are more about waste lubes impact on the environment. I'm all about a smaller footprint on the planet but not at the expense of my trucks.

With the miles on your truck I would flush it and change the filter.

dmad1

Reaction score
When I had a '12, I had the fluid and filter changed at 100k. When I returned home, checked the fluid and it was still not a pretty pink. Bought 10 qts. and did a flush myself. Not hard to do at all. Just be sure not to loose the clip that holds the line in the radiator. You do not need to pull the radiator fitting out of the radiator. Check out videos on Youtube. I now have an '17 and the fluid does not have much pink to it, so am planning on doing the flush myself again in the next couple of weeks. The pan is hard to get of but there is a video showing how to press the exhaust down and remove it without having to drop the exhaust. Changing the fluid in the pan will not change but about half of the fluid. Won't get the torque converter, etc. If you have it done, be sure to ask for a "flush" and not just the pan. Just my 2 cents worth.

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Tahoe, I drained everything. I always assume that the previous owner did not do anything about it. And I did well because I realized that the transfer oil was not the right one.

For the automatic gearbox, I make three partial emptyings with 600 miles of interval, like that, I remove as much as possible. At the last drain, I change the filter and I go on something clean.

Like many American owners, I do my maintenance alone, especially on the automatic gearbox, because in France, the mechanic is not trained on it.

The French or German manufacturers had released the concept of "gearbox without maintenance" ... result: the gearboxes automatic were good to change after 60,000 miles. Few companies can redo an American box and to redo a simple TH700R4, which I had on my Firebird 85, I had taken $ 1700

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in Monmouth are you moving to its a pretty big area. I grew up in manalapan area. So i can def recommend places to stay away from if your in that area lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA