Transmission fluid and filter recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy,

So I think its time to get my transmission fluid and filter changed. Is there any brand fluid or filter that is the best?

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For fluid, Valvoline MaxLife is perfect and cheap at WallyWorld

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think max life is a licensed Dex-VI product is it? It wasn't on the latest published list I have.

Dexron-VI or a GM licensed product that meets Dex-VI is all I would run.
It's all my trans builder recommended I use during my warranty period and what he uses in the 100+ transmissions he rebuilds for dealers all across south Texas every month

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
AC Delco filter

Lubelocker gasket - or fel-pro. Surface prep it, gasket, torque to spec, done. I personally don't subscribe to the RTV+gasket nonsense

And fluid wise, I personally use amsoil signature multi vehicle ATF. Not the fuel savings stuff. My tranny seems to prefer it over the other stuff I've tried.

It took me ~4qts fluid when I did mine. These trucks don't hold much fluid in the pan, and mine was deep at that.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
AC Delco filter

Lubelocker gasket - or fel-pro. Surface prep it, gasket, torque to spec, done. I personally don't subscribe to the RTV+gasket nonsense

And fluid wise, I personally use amsoil signature multi vehicle ATF. Not the fuel savings stuff. My tranny seems to prefer it over the other stuff I've tried.

It took me ~4qts fluid when I did mine. These trucks don't hold much fluid in the pan, and mine was deep at that.

X2 on Lube locker. Worked great for me.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC delco.
FWIW, I plan to change fluid and filter sometime this year so this thread got me in gear to get the stuff and have it ready. Figured I would give the dealer a chance to provide the fluid... nope. They will only sell me a 275 gallon bulk tote... said they can't even sell small quantities. Which begs the question, where does everyone get the quarts and gallons? He told me to just go buy ATF at the auto parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC