Transfer case/Transmission Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CM Burns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Denali AWD, and just hit 118k miles. It runs strong, and I don't tow anything with it, but all I hear from people who like my truck is "nice truck, but the transfer cases in those things are a nightmare and will break on you, & definitely the Tranny will go in the next 50,000 miles, I'd sell it while you can"

I guess I am trying to ask you guys, the high-mileage people, if you have replaced the Tranny yet, and if so, what mileage were you at? The same goes for the AWD people, if you have had to replace the transfer case yet, if so then when/how much money it costed... (The rear main seal while we are at it to...) I really want to keep this truck, I love it, and not having a car payment rules.

For the record, I am not as handy as some of you who can do all the this stuff yourself and save a ton of money, I have had the same mechanic for 16 years and he's very reasonable. Maybe I should just move $5,000 into a car fund in case any of this happens. My uncle's 2004 Suburban has 280,000 miles, and pulls the big trailer with the Bobcat on it, and has never done anything more than just regular servicing. I suppose it's luck...

Thanks

Last edited:

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off very nice rig man!
I myself have a 2004 Yukon Denali Awd running 22's given to me by my father in law. Bone stock 275k second motor and original transmission and t-case. So far so good in the drivetrain department. The truck did do about 75% highway miles and the occasional jet ski tow. As far as I know these drivetrains are bulletproof. As long as they are maintained regularly you can easily see 300k which I'm hoping I get to before any major rebuilds. i read on here synthetics help a lot and keep an eye on steering components.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
As far as I know these drivetrains are bulletproof. As long as they are maintained regularly you can easily see 300k which I'm hoping I get to before any major rebuilds. .

I like your optimism but I replace AWD transfer-cases on these trucks monthly. They are definitely the weakest of the bunch (mostly because they cant switch off so they wear more). Add towing into the equation and it gets worse. If you can, I'd stay away from the AWD's. 2WD or 4WD.

jpstrniste

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im sure its been done, and i will do a search for it, but what about converting over to a switchable 4wd tcase?? Ive got 150k on my 05 Denali and havent had any drivetrain problems. Gas mileage kinda sucks, but is expected... Also, squeeling from front wheels while making tight turns is annoying too.

What would it take to switch out a transfer case from a donor/junk yard 2500 pickup with a 6.0? Obviously you'd have to wire up the dash buttons and figure out the module for that. I remember seeing a conversion that was done on a yukon or tahoe that had a duramax and quad steering in it... It did have the switchable 4wd on the dash. That is a very intense swap, but thought it was a cool idea. Just trying to make conversation....

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Im sure its been done, and i will do a search for it, but what about converting over to a switchable 4wd tcase?? Ive got 150k on my 05 Denali and havent had any drivetrain problems. Gas mileage kinda sucks, but is expected... Also, squeeling from front wheels while making tight turns is annoying too.

What would it take to switch out a transfer case from a donor/junk yard 2500 pickup with a 6.0? Obviously you'd have to wire up the dash buttons and figure out the module for that. I remember seeing a conversion that was done on a yukon or tahoe that had a duramax and quad steering in it... It did have the switchable 4wd on the dash. That is a very intense swap, but thought it was a cool idea. Just trying to make conversation....

Never done it but in the LEAST it will take reprogramming the PCM. Such as I did with reprogramming my head-unit from RPO Uq7 to Y91 when I installed the LUX amp out of an Escalade into my Tahoe. You will at minimum need access to a Tech 2 (or capable scan tool) and also access to GM's TIS and a J tool to reprogram. IF it can be done this way, this would be considered easy.

Last edited:

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
I have an '06 Denali XL with 149k . Only drivetrain issue I've encountered was a burned up torque converter clutch solenoid causing a check engine light and harder than normal shift from 1st - 2nd when the tranny temp hit 200 degrees. $400 later, she's as good as new and temp doesn't go over 180 deg. Make sure to keep your fluids changed at the recommended interval. I've had mine done twice now and still pulls my 4000 lb. boat with ease !

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to swap in an np241 transfer case in place of an NP 246 transfer case. I'm not sure what the newer Chevys come with..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts