Transfer case service 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the typical issue with this?

this is on 4x4 hybrid 2009 btw

the engine and transmission were solid and shifted smoothly .

It took 30 seconds to switch to 4x4 the light was flashing in the mean time...

i'd assume it did not shift I did not hear anything

so the actuator must be broken?? (locking motor)

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine (09 Tahoe Hybrid w/217k miles) stopped shifting last night. When the button is rotated I get no flashing light/no dash indication of "shift change" and no indication on the Hybrid graphics screen that it is in 4x4. Not sure where to start on the diagnosis, BG if you find some good articles during your search on these systems please post a link. I know that back many years ago there was what was called an Encoder motor that drove the actuator on the transfer case and that was a troublesome item for GM trucks. Not sure what they used in 2009.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started the ** up today it had lights on the rotating 4whl drive knob and it seems to be working again? I cannot find any codes that have been set but my scan tool does not read BCM codes. I assume it will happen again (probably on the day that we get a foot of snow). Looks like there are basically 4 main pieces to the system Transfer case actuator about $200.00 /front axle actuator about $100.00/Control module under the dash about $80.00 and the rotating knob on the dash about $34.00 then of course there is the wiring harness which could have an issue I wiggled all the exposed wiring that I could reach and it did not go back out. The 4 main pieces look to be easy to change but in my hour of internet searching I cannot figure out how to diagnose it to see which one might be the issue. Diagnostic fee is 85 bones at the local shop and I dont have much faith that they can pinpoint it. What is the "MOST COMMON" Failure? I have wiggled the rotating knob sternly and it did not go back out. I know the power for that comes from the control module and I am leaning towards ordering a control module for 80 bucks and taking a chance, OR of course it could be a fluke and I should wait and see if it does it again. Might have been a Sunspot Hahahaha