tranny i think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iilijah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi all i have a problem i hope to solve. I have a 2003 tahoe, 5.3, 4 wheel auto. The problem im having is when im on the freeway driving the vehical surges or maybe hte tranny is unlocking and then relocking right after. So the rpm will go up 200 then back down almost like i was pumping the gas. Any info would help. Thanks.

Goldcuffs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's kind of tough to diagnose with out scanner data to see Torque Converter Control solenoid activity. I've seen vacuum leaks and mass air flow sensors cause this sort of problem. But again, not being able to see fuel trim and mass-air data it's hard to say. Try it out of overdrive and see if it does it still.

OP
OP
I

iilijah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well i have the same problem out of od. Im not convinced it is the converter anymore as it didnt do it at the same speeds when i had the cruze control on. Should i get a scanner and connect it then drive around for awhile?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines does that, but it goes away when u put it in tow/haul. i hate automatics bc i dont understand them and i cant diagnose anything with them on my own

man n black

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles on the tranny. Is it slipping maybe? I had this same problem, got progressively worse. Ended up replacing transmission. Tech said "All these break every 100k miles routinely"

Cheers
Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ChevY042

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have this same problem. Just noticed it the other day. Only on the highway, I will be driving about 63-65 mph, about 18-1900 rpm, and it will surge to about 22-2300 rpm like im giving it gas or the trans is slipping. I do have a code P0440 which is evap leak but I have no idea if that has anything to with this issue or how to troubleshoot/fix that code. If you figure out this surging issue PLEASE let me know! Thanks

BubZX

Reaction score
i have this same problem. Just noticed it the other day. Only on the highway, i will be driving about 63-65 mph, about 18-1900 rpm, and it will surge to about 22-2300 rpm like im giving it gas or the trans is slipping. I do have a code p0440 which is evap leak but i have no idea if that has anything to with this issue or how to troubleshoot/fix that code. If you figure out this surging issue please let me know! Thanks

just fixed the p0440 code on my hoe the other day. It was the evap purge selonoid on the front of the intake. It was very loose.

Put on a new oring andu used a rubber washer to make it sit snug again. Cleared the code out and it has stayed off for 3 days now.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all i have a problem i hope to solve. I have a 2003 tahoe, 5.3, 4 wheel auto. The problem im having is when im on the freeway driving the vehical surges or maybe hte tranny is unlocking and then relocking right after. So the rpm will go up 200 then back down almost like i was pumping the gas. Any info would help. Thanks.

What speed/rpm are you at? and are you going uphill? Mine will gargle a bit and complain and not downshift when going up hills at low rpm in OD but if i downshift to 3rd its just fine, so most the time at if i am varying speed alot on highway at only 40-50mph i leave it in 3rd it runs alot hotter in OD constantly changing speed.

How many miles on the tranny. Is it slipping maybe? I had this same problem, got progressively worse. Ended up replacing transmission. Tech said "All these break every 100k miles routinely"

Cheers
Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR

That tech must have not dealt with these transmissions much or they are experiencing EXTREME abuse. Both 4L60s and 65s should last in these trucks for 200k+. My truck has 192k, been beat on daily, tows huge loads, and i go wide open throttle multiple times a week through the shifts and it has never even had tranny fluid changed, never been touched, no slips clunks or problems. Heat leads to auto tranny failure, a good transmission cooler and running in 3rd when around town to avoid OD seems to be the key to these lasting forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024