Trailer Lights Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Esteban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum but thought it would be the best place to get information on my Tahoe. I have a 2010 model LT, bought it used last July and love it. It's my second Tahoe, I bought my first in 2000 and kept it for 11 years, the best truck I've ever owned.

Now to my problem. This Tahoe has the tow package that comes with the 7 blade trailer plug next to the hitch receiver. I own 2 boats that I use, one small (14') and one a bit larger (17') and they both have the standard 4-wire plug for the trailer lights. So I need to get an adapter from the 7 blade to 4-wire to hook up my lights. Well, I've gone through 4 of these things now and none of them seem to work properly for my smaller trailer lights.

They all worked perfectly on the larger trailer, had all lights and blinkers, but none of them have worked that well on the smaller trailer. On that one I get all my lights except for the driver's side brake light and turn signal. Everything else works fine. I thought it might be a grounding issue, but it's a nearly brand new trailer (bought last March), and the lights all worked perfectly with the old Tahoe. It's only been since I got the new that that this has started, so I'm kind of stumped on what it could be. I've asked a couple of people and got no real answers other than to keep trying different adapters until I found one that worked. That seems a bit odd, I would think there's something else, different grounding or something that I could do to make this work as I'm tired of buying and returning adapters. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had somewhat of the same problem you are having. I can't believe GM still uses the seven point connectors for these trucks. What I did was instead of putting on the adapter I spliced and removed the old connector and put the new 4 in its place. And problem solved. Its really easy to do the instructions are clear and simple.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Esteban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Doing a splice-in was always on my list as a solution to the problem, but I would have thought that with a truck this expensive there would be a simple plug in adapter that would work. Seems like I've got lights, settings, bells and whistles for just about eveyrthing so I assumed they would put a good quality plug back there. Guess I was wrong. So it's off to the parts store again to return yet another adapter and buy an old school direct connect 4 plug.

OP
OP
E

Esteban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a simple plug in adapter. It's available from GM Accessories.

Well, I had called the local Chevy dealer some time back asking about an adapter thinking they should have one that works since it's their truck. It's $27 and I was told that I couldn't return it if it didnt' work since it was an electrical part. Really bogus policy for that particuluar item so that's why I've been looking at auto parts stores. I haven't had any problems returning these adapters to those places, at least not yet. No, I think the thing to do is just splice in a standard 4-wire plug and be done with it. Real pain in the neck, you wouldn't think you'd have to do that on a $50K+ vehicle...

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the adapter works on one trailer it should work on both trailers. You are gettiing power through the adapter but you can also get one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innovativ...y-Pin-Vehicle-Trailer-Harness-Tester/16494364 at an RV or auto parts store to check.

It also sounds like your ground is OK if some of the lights work. I would still check to make sure the ground is a wired ground and not just grounded to the vehicle through the hitch ball. Some are and they don't work very well. Also check the ground at the light that is not working. They usually have a short wire from the light to the trailer frame. They can get corroded at the connection point. After that you need a circuit tester and start testing your way back to the light that's not working.

Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they could atleast done the two connectors like my 07 F150 has. GM really cheaped out on a lot of small usefull stuff.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is just the left brake light and turn signal I would look at the bulb since both of those run off of the same filiment inside the bulb. Also check the fuse panel under the hood and left side of dash by the door...I believe there is a fuse for left brake/signal. If the other trailer works then I would look at the bulb even if the trailer is newer. I have been using the GM 7-prong since '99 on multiple vehicles and all worked flawlessly, with and without an adapter.

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
It's obviously a wiring issue on the trailer and not the adapter. If it works on one trailer it should work on the other. A simple voltage tester that has a light will help you troubleshoot this issue.

Big O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have swapped my standard 7 prong for a 7 prong with a 4 plug on the side. They are on the same mounting bracket and same wire harness. That way i have both 7 and the 4 anytime i need them. I picked it up at NAPA last year. Plug and play ... no splicing.

2012-01-24_13-12-54_591.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts