Traction control/stabilitrak off issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traction control/stabilitrak off issue **Update: Solved, see 1st post edit**

The other day when driving back to work from Home Depot, the traction control off/service stabilitrak lights lit up on the Tahoe. I pulled into the gas station, filled up, and hoped it was a fluke. Upon going to restart the truck, it was running REALLY rough. It barely started. Got it home after work, popped the hood, and low and behold the intake tube had popped loose from the throttle body (airraid tube). Disconnected the neg terminal, reattached the tube nice and tight, and let it sit overnight to make sure the code cleared out.

The next morning it fired right up, and off to work I went. Lunchtime rolls around and the damn stabilitrak warning came back on! It was intermittent, it came on only as I was coasting or sitting at a red light. Checked the tube, it was rock solid. Eventually it threw a CEL, so I stopped by the auto parts store after work to read the code. Banks 1 and 2 too rich. WTF?

I got home and disco'd the battery again, pulled the intake, checked all the fittings, gave the MAF sensor a good cleaning, and carefully reassembled everything. It lasted about a half a day before starting to act wonky again. Same thing is still going on. CEL with the same codes, and intermittent service stabilitrak/traction control off lights (with the resulting super-hard shift out of first gear) when coasting or sitting at a red light, then after accelerating and getting out of first gear it usually goes off and acts normally until I start slowing down again.

I'm at a loss. The intake doesn't appear to be cracked or damaged anywhere. Most of the time the truck starts up fine, but on occasion it struggles ever so slightly. Nothing like when the tube was off, but just a hair off of normal. Once it's running it seems normal. There has to be an intake/vacuum leak somewhere, but I have no idea where. Any suggestions?

-----UPDATE 12/31/2013: Issue Solved-----

Ok, so rather than making everyone read through the entire thread, I'll post the resolution here for everyone's edification.

This issue was 100% caused by the Airaid intake tube coming loose. When that happened, the engine was drawing air directly into the throttle body, completely bypassing the Mass Air Flow sensor. As a result, the ECM thought that the Air/Fuel Ratio was EXTREMELY leaned out because there was so much un-metered air coming into the engine. So, naturally, the computer started dumping fuel to "correct" what it assumed to be a lean fuel condition, which made the AFR super rich (hence the P0172 and P0175 codes, "banks 1 and 2 too rich"). When the injectors were maxed out and the problem still wasn't solved, the computer then assumed that there was E85 in the tank, and the flex fuel system activated the E85 fuel tables (obviously there wasn't E85 in the tank - not good). This left the injectors maxed out, which kept the AFR way too rich, and caused the rough starts and random stabilitrak/traction control issues because at idle, the computer was looking for E85 when gasoline was in the tank.

Essentially, the computer was extremely f**king confused. Eventually, my truck wouldn't even start because it was flooding itself with so much fuel during startup.

Rather than waiting for a scan cable to arrive, I just bit the bullet and ordered my own AutoCal. After receiving it, I simply hooked it up to my truck, connected my laptop and opened up the EFI Live software, and did an Ethanol % Correction. This zeroed out the fuel tables and allowed the computer to recognize the regular gasoline as gasoline, and not E85. Its been three days since the reset, and not a single issue has persisted.

I don't know if this issue would require a dealership re-flash of the stock computer if you aren't tuned and don't have access to EFI Live, but it's worth noting that if you have an aftermarket intake on a GMT900 truck, MAKE SURE that it's very tightly installed. If you have any questions about this, feel free to PM me. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

smurfskier

Reaction score
Check your Battery. Have it load tested. I know it sounds weird but our trucks get sensitive to a discharged battery. Hence why your issues are showing up at idle and low rpms when the alternator is not producing a lot of juice. I had a similar problem and after a lot of aggregation it ended up being the battery.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How odd. Makes sense to me, it just seems odd that the problems would coincide with the intake tube popping loose. Stranger things have happened though I suppose. I have a battery tender here at work, I'll throw it on and see if that helps. Thanks smurf.

Edit: Battery Tender is hooked up an doing it's thing. I'll report back later with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, charging the battery didn't do the trick. I guess I'll be getting a can of starting fluid and chasing a vacuum leak unless someone has a better idea...

marionso14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually just experienced a similar issue with my 07 hoe. While driving all of a sudden my stabilitrak and traction control lights will flash as well as CEL. and it starts sputtering. I dont seem to lose much power as it continues at same speed and rpm but you can definitely feel the sputter. sometime sit is for a few seconds and sometimes it last for a few minutes. Usually turning of engine and restarting fixes it for the time being anyway. I happend to be parked while the lights came on once and i plugged in my Superchips tuner but it didnt read any codes. Im going to check my intake and throttle body and try that. I read on another forum that there is some sensor and or plug under the front bumper behind that lower grill somewhere that when wet can cause this issue. If you find a solution let us know! If i solve mine i will do the same!

Spank13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my my 07 LTZ back today after a week of issues. I cleaned the throttle body hoping that was the source but I remembered I had gotten a 420 cat error previously (Tahoe had run fine) but it turns out it has gone bad for good and causing the engine to run terrible (like a banana stuck in a tailpipe). Do you have a rattle?

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm reading your post I am checking to make sure it wasn't I who posted this. I literally have had the EXACT same issues pop up yesterday down to the T. Even posted about it (posts 50 and 55) http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54519&page=6

My truck started first with the Stabilitrack/Traction Control lights going off, then service 4wd (as it defaulted off of auto into 4wd), then a CEL light and started idling like crap. I limped it back home, pulled the codes and it showed LEAN in Banks 1 and 2. Started looking around and my MIT (AirRaid) tube popped off the TB. Reinstalled, cleared the codes and all seemed good. Today, it did something similar but now I got RICH in Banks 1 and 2 (believe it's code P0172). I pulled the MAF and TB and cleaned them with the appropriate cleaners. All is well for now.

This is too weird that it's the identical situations. I don't know how old my battery is as it was installed by the prior owner but maybe perhaps it is a battery. We are both in cold weather climates and by the date of your issues, it's when this arctic cold weather moved into our areas.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle, marionso14. I understand that you are looking for advice on how to resolve this issue yourself. I might not be able to give you any advice but I would like to look into this concern for you. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just want to post an update for you guys to possibly try. Have you guys cleaned the contacts on the megafuse connection? Mine were terrible on both the megafuse and the battery cable connectors. Took some scothbrite, cleaned all the contacts and also cleaned the battery terminals. Knock on wood, but I have not had any of the stabiltrack / 4wd service messages pop up, no cel light, and the voltage needle isn't as jumpy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts