Traction Control Light On?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lately I’ve noticed that the traction control light is on and refuses to go off. I’ve even seen the “service stabilitrak” and “service traction control” messages, now all I see is the traction control light light with no message attached to it...does anyone know what this problem could be?? The car recently sat for 2 weeks (we’ve been out of state) and when we returned the battery was completely dead, I jumped started it and the tachometer wasn’t working, the car was shifting between 1-2 very rough, and the idle was very rough..however a few minutes of driving and it was fine again..I just want to make sure these issues aren’t battery related.

272B94AC-E9E9-46E4-BBBB-7290634E3CB3.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately I’ve noticed that the traction control light is on and refuses to go off. I’ve even seen the “service stabilitrak” and “service traction control” messages, now all I see is the traction control light light with no message attached to it...does anyone know what this problem could be?? The car recently sat for 2 weeks (we’ve been out of state) and when we returned the battery was completely dead, I jumped started it and the tachometer wasn’t working, the car was shifting between 1-2 very rough, and the idle was very rough..however a few minutes of driving and it was fine again..I just want to make sure these issues aren’t battery related.

View attachment 237362
They can very well be battery related as these trucks hate, and I mean HATE, low voltages.

Do you have the ability to pull any codes with an OBDII scanner?

Get your battery tested also.

Double check your battery terminal connections.

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They can very well be battery related as these trucks hate, and I mean HATE, low voltages.

Do you have the ability to pull any codes with an OBDII scanner?

Get your battery tested also.

Double check your battery terminal connections.

I was attempting to take the battery out a few minutes ago and I couldn’t get the positive terminal to come off so I attempted to reconnect everything, and now it seems like the battery is completely dead and it REFUSES to start. At this point I’ll wait for my brother to get here to help me out with it. He also has the diagnostic tools to check the codes. I wouldn’t be surprised if I broke something...I’m probably going to end up replacing the battery because it’s causing the computer systems to act crazy..the check engine light was flashing for a few minutes then it’d go still for a few and then begin to flash again..

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I replaced the battery and it’s still sort of driving funky, do I need to drive it a certain amount of time to get the computer systems back on track?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the battery and it’s still sort of driving funky, do I need to drive it a certain amount of time to get the computer systems back on track?
Could be. Not sure what you mean by funky though.

Any dash lights on? Check Engine Light on?

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be. Not sure what you mean by funky though.

Any dash lights on? Check Engine Light on?

The idle is perfect, car is silent, no vibrations or anything. The problem comes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear that’s when it starts to feel like it can’t accelerate and it begins to shake rough but once it shifts to 4th it’s fine...The Traction Control light comes on once I get past 45 MPH and then along with it comes the flashing check engine light...and once I come to a stop the traction control light goes away and the check engine light stops flashing and becomes still.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The idle is perfect, car is silent, no vibrations or anything. The problem comes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear that’s when it starts to feel like it can’t accelerate and it begins to shake rough but once it shifts to 4th it’s fine...The Traction Control light comes on once I get past 45 MPH and then along with it comes the flashing check engine light...and once I come to a stop the traction control light goes away and the check engine light stops flashing and becomes still.

Wheel speed sensor(s) are a possible culprit for the traction light. Shouldn't trigger a flashing CEL, though. Pull the codes for that. It's usually misfire related.

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wheel speed sensor(s) are a possible culprit for the traction light. Shouldn't trigger a flashing CEL, though. Pull the codes for that. It's usually misfire related.

Thanks! After driving it for entire day, now along with the traction control light comes the messages “Service Stabilitrak” & “Service Traction Control” messages, they once again happen when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and the car feels as if it’s in limp mode (along with harsh shifting) or something. Once I come to a stop those messages and the traction control light go away and the idle goes back to normal and it has power.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! After driving it for entire day, now along with the traction control light comes the messages “Service Stabilitrak” & “Service Traction Control” messages, they once again happen when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and the car feels as if it’s in limp mode (along with harsh shifting) or something. Once I come to a stop those messages and the traction control light go away and the idle goes back to normal and it has power.
How many miles on your vehicle?
What does your transmission fluid look and smell like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daily Bread