TPS Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Engine / Drivetrain so please move if needed. However, I would appreciate the attention as I am unable to find a resolution to this common problem.

'14 Suburban LT, 2wd.

Got the familiar p2127 error code;
  • Faulty Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

After the 1st occurrence, I replaced the pedal assembly with GM OEM early last year. Went awhile before acting up and thought it was a fluke. Then it would be a month or 2 before code was thrown. Now it's every day, even multiple times a day.

Nothing has been consistent to give me any hints. Issue happens while traveling fast or slow, pedal pressed or not even a foot on the pedal, smooth or bumpy road.

Been hard to review because it's been happening at the worst time and I have to clear the code to make it home.

I've inspected the wiring and connections and all looks great.

Searched heavily and found this situation quite common but haven't found a definitive resolution yet. Others have replaced almost everything except the ECM and still have the same.

Anyone know for sure the culprit?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Engine / Drivetrain so please move if needed. However, I would appreciate the attention as I am unable to find a resolution to this common problem.

'14 Suburban LT, 2wd.

Got the familiar p2127 error code;
  • Faulty Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

After the 1st occurrence, I replaced the pedal assembly with GM OEM early last year. Went awhile before acting up and thought it was a fluke. Then it would be a month or 2 before code was thrown. Now it's every day, even multiple times a day.

Nothing has been consistent to give me any hints. Issue happens while traveling fast or slow, pedal pressed or not even a foot on the pedal, smooth or bumpy road.

Been hard to review because it's been happening at the worst time and I have to clear the code to make it home.

I've inspected the wiring and connections and all looks great.

Searched heavily and found this situation quite common but haven't found a definitive resolution yet. Others have replaced almost everything except the ECM and still have the same.

Anyone know for sure the culprit?
Do you have access to a Tech2? If so, have you used it to test for proper throttle-opening and throttle-closing range? There is a readout in the tool that will tell you what the pedal is communicating to the ECU. That's the test procedure for it at least.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have access to a Tech2? If so, have you used it to test for proper throttle-opening and throttle-closing range? There is a readout in the tool that will tell you what the pedal is communicating to the ECU. That's the test procedure for it at least.

I do not. I use a simple OBDII with the Torque Pro app.

I'll need to research as I'm not familiar. Any suggestions? Thank you for the response.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not. I use a simple OBDII with the Torque Pro app.

I'll need to research as I'm not familiar. Any suggestions? Thank you for the response.
It's the dealer-level tool for doing deep systems diagnosis and resets in areas not covered by run-of-the-mill generic OBII scanners. Most of us have Chinese-made knock-offs of them from chinacardiags.com: https://www.chinacardiags.com/whole...el-suzuki-isuzu-holden-with-full-package.html

Also, there is a sticky thread containing the list of people who have them and will let you use it if you happen to live nearby.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. It's one of those teeter-totter questions. Buy tool + find out you have to pay $1XX to replace the TPS anyways or replace the TPS, have it still act up and spend a lot more trying to resolve it in pieces because you don't have a Tech2.

Being a newb with one of those, how hard will it be for me to figure out how to read the output to diagnose? Is it a big learning curve?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's one of those teeter-totter questions. Buy tool + find out you have to pay $1XX to replace the TPS anyways or replace the TPS, have it still act up and spend a lot more trying to resolve it in pieces because you don't have a Tech2.

Being a newb with one of those, how hard will it be for me to figure out how to read the output to diagnose? Is it a big learning curve?
No, it's super easy to use. Totally menu-driven. If you're going to own one of these trucks for a few years, it'll save you money.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had to go out of town and got a stomach bug so haven't done anything.

The replacement pedal I got was from Mexico and so I started searching. Found reviews of others stating that their "Made in Mexico" pedal assemblies failed after only about 6 mos of use.

I'm now searching for one that is made elsewhere.

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Based on the thread title I for some reason thought this was a tpms thread but obviously not.

Very interested in this thread bc we sell throttle controllers (among other things) and looking to sell them to all 2007+ tahoe/yukon owners very soon...but will now require a disclaimer.

Additionally. I will ask some of the pedal assembly engineers I work with about your problem and report back if any useful feedback provided.

For now sounds like made in mehico is made to break. Is there not a USA made supplier?

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The new Pedal Assembly I picked up was the exact same. Made in Mexico but with the GM Stamp/Sticker.

Replaced it and made a small errand. Going over a speed bump it threw the code again and went into limp mode.

It can't be the pedal. I'm really thinking it's a loose connection someplace. Maybe even at the pedal connector, because I've noticed that this has primarily occurred when I've hit a bump.

1st time it happened was after I floored it getting on the highway. No bump but the pedal assembly is flimsy enough that it could have flexed and caused a bad connection at the plug?

I want to review all of the related wiring looms and connectors but I can't find a wiring schematic for the pedal. Anyone have one? I don't think the Chilton type books contain one.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wondering if it's still the P2127 code. Can you get the current code and look at freeze frame data (when the code sets) on a scanner? That would give you some data points to compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14