TPS Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure exactly about this issue but i did some research on a similar issue for a work buddy through some of my contacts. anyway similar issue but im unsure of the codes he was getting. replaced the pedal position twice and the tb twice to alleviate the issue. 2 different shops were doing to work on his silverado. according to the p/n both parts are the same so issue may be similar. there's 2 ways to do the relearn on both parts of the throttle/pedal circuit. a simple unhooked battery for 15 or so minutes may cause the ecm to force a relearn but doesn't always work. a tech2 or a snapon obd2 scanner has the function to trigger a relearn on the position. far as i recall the ecm freaks if it doesn't see matching position movement between the pedal and throttle. if you had the battery unhooked for atleast 15 min while you were doing this work it may actually be the tb or the pedal relearn didn't get triggered. find someone with the necessary scanner to trigger a relearn and that may help. guy at work has been goint 2 yrs with no further issues tho.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
replaced the pedal position twice and the tb twice to alleviate the issue.

a tech2 or a snapon obd2 scanner has the function to trigger a relearn on the position. far as i recall the ecm freaks if it doesn't see matching position movement between the pedal and throttle.

Thanks for the suggestion! Didn't know about a relearn. I downloaded and used an app that specifically resets the throttle. All of the dash lights came on and it said complete. Never seen that before. Anyways, going to move forward with one thing at a time. If this doesn't work, going to look into replacing either the throttle body or the connectors.

Anyone know the OEM of the TB? Is it ACDelco like the pedal?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there's an option for acdelco you can generally just default to that. i dont think there was much that gm wouldn't use acdelco if they had that as an option.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! Didn't know about a relearn. I downloaded and used an app that specifically resets the throttle. All of the dash lights came on and it said complete. Never seen that before. Anyways, going to move forward with one thing at a time. If this doesn't work, going to look into replacing either the throttle body or the connectors.

Your best bet is to first find the "GM Genuine part" or "ACDelco Original Equipment" wording. While that part could be made by Delphi, AC Delco, or another manufacturer, it's what came on your truck. Should be worded like this one from RockAuto:

1675605986801.png

From the GMParts.com website (ranked in order of quality):

1675606137209.png

ACDelco has one more line, "ACDelco Advantage" but that's like any other aftermarket parts line, a crap shoot at best. Avoid it if possible.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what app? and what tool was used for obd communication with said app?

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As I went several days without issue, I thought I had it. Longest I had gone in a while. This morning it triggered again as I pulled into work. Checked connections, removed and reconnected them and no change.

Next up I guess is to replace the throttle body.

Found: Genuine GM 12629992 Throttle Body (ACDelco GM OE)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the Tech2 the only way for us to trigger the relearn for the Throttle Position?

I also have a Toyota Sienna that's needing it as well. Would be great if there was a scanner that performed this function for both like the Launch CRP129E

Local shop will perform the reset for $80 each but I'd rather have one of these cheap scanners instead if it will work just for this purpose.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Tech2 the only way for us to trigger the relearn for the Throttle Position?

I also have a Toyota Sienna that's needing it as well. Would be great if there was a scanner that performed this function for both like the Launch CRP129E

Local shop will perform the reset for $80 each but I'd rather have one of these cheap scanners instead if it will work just for this purpose.
I have never used this brand but it should work

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Slow boat from China and they sent me a used one even though I ordered new. Box opened, missing charger cord, and finger prints all over it. Even had the PO email and contact info stored. Going to return.

Wouldn't trigger a relearn but was able to pull some diagnostic data that I wasn't able to before;

Power System:
1. Control Module Communications Bus A Off
Safety and Security System:
1. Lost Communication With Body Control Module
2. CAN Bus Communication
3. Lost Communication With Engine Control Module
4. Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module
Electronic Brake Control Module:
U0140-00 Lost Communication With Body Control Module
U2100-00 CAN Bus Communication
U0100-00 Lost Communication With Engine Control Module
U0101-00 Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module
Engine Control Module:
U0073-00 Control Module Communication Bus A Off

Can this be the culprit to my overall issue? Bad cable or connection? I want to look into replacing the cable but not sure where to begin or how far the loom extends. Better to have a shop do it?

BTW, the battery was dead from the vehicle sitting for so long which I read might trigger one or more of these codes so it's hard to tell.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of those are "ghost codes" as I call them..
They can be triggered by a low/disconnected battery or really almost anything
in the history...
I clear all this crap out.. Then get in a few drive cycles to really see what going on...
Don't put any effort into those codes unless a specific one comes back..
you'll need at least 3 full drive cycles and then recheck