Towing stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Tahoe with the tow package. It has 157k miles on it. I just installed new Gabriel HD shocks (coil overs) on the rear. I purchased a Keystone trailer with a dry weight of 5400 lbs thinking the Tahoe could easily handle towing it because the book says max tow capacity is 8200 lbs. I have the proper sway bars and hitch set up, but it still gets uncomfortable (sway) at 45-50 mph. New tires are on the trailer. The hitch drops approx 2.5 inches when hooked up, so I believe I have enough tongue weight. The sway bars are tight. They pull the hitch up approx 1.5 inch. The drop without the sway bars is 4 inches. The drop with the is 2.5 inches. I'm not sure what to try next.
Keep Your GM Truck All GM.jpg

Whenever you change parts and then have a problem, the best and first thing to do is un-change them, put the old shocks back on or buy a set of ACDelco factory shocks and try again.

As for the sway, need more weight on the tongue. The tail is wagging the dog. Load up the rig like you were going on vacation and take it to your local CAT Scales. Download the app so you don't have to go inside and get the ticket unless you want to. Weigh the truck by itself and then again with the trailer with each axle sitting on the right scale, steer, drive and trailer. You want about 13-15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue or axle of your car, your hitch can handle 1100 pounds easy, your payload capacity for the truck ought to be north of 1400 pounds.

if you want to get really precise, put the trailer on the scales by itself, with the jack on the steer axle, front axle on the drive and rear axle on the trailer and take a measurement. First weigh now is $13.50 and re weigh is $4.

20240131 - CAT Scales - 216971-1.JPG

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point about the weight... Dry weight + about 1200 lbs for a full size
camper... Although I know mine is even more than 1200 over the dry weight.

And anything this size you are going to want a Weight Distributing Trailer Hitch
with sway control.
Being a tahoe is going to strain everything more as it's shorter

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@85Keydet where’d ya go?
I'm becoming more hesitant to respond to first-time posters. It seems that more often than ever, they come and ask a question that we diligently answer, and then never return. I only responded this time because the topic was interesting to me personally. Hopefully they come back.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but in this case, it's all discussion we've had in these pages before.
I THINK you're alluding to something like ...

newbz come in, ask a question that's literally been asked and answered thousands of times,
and often disappear instead of becoming a part of the community, nevermind reading for five minutes.

I have a wee lil bit of experience with this, also being a member of the Impala SS Forum.
By the time that forum wen to this xenforo format, the Impala SS FAQ was LONG GONE.
I know enough about mid-90s B- & D- cars to never get swindled by most mechanics,
because losing the FAQ pretty much forced it into my memory.

These xenforo forums are more about engagement and responses
welcome to the forum from timbukfive
than usefully collating and organizing knowledge.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm becoming more hesitant to respond to first-time posters. It seems that more often than ever, they come and ask a question that we diligently answer, and then never return. I only responded this time because the topic was interesting to me personally. Hopefully they come back.
Especially the women! I look at it that our responses may help someone else months or years later if they run a search, whether here or googling.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I THINK you're alluding to something like ...

newbz come in, ask a question that's literally been asked and answered thousands of times,
and often disappear instead of becoming a part of the community, nevermind reading for five minutes.

I have a wee lil bit of experience with this, also being a member of the Impala SS Forum.
By the time that forum wen to this xenforo format, the Impala SS FAQ was LONG GONE.
I know enough about mid-90s B- & D- cars to never get swindled by most mechanics,
because losing the FAQ pretty much forced it into my memory.

These xenforo forums are more about engagement and responses
welcome to the forum from timbukfive
than usefully collating and organizing knowledge.
That's true, although I'm sure someone with the time and energy could compile a FAQ/common issues here and the mods would sticky it. I've thought about it but can't do it and be employed full time while raising kids at the same time. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panzerwagen