Towing question Yukon XL SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning to tow a U-Haul 12'x6' / double axle, enclosed trailer. About 175 miles.... all flat roads, no hills.
( Florida - what do you expect Hills?? Not here...)... Ha....
Going to Palm Beach from Tampa area.
The 1,900lb. Trailer will not have heavy stuff inside it. Do I need to select the 'Tow Mode' ??

I am betting my Yukon may not even know the trailer is behind it. But, I want to treat my transmission right.

My thought is maybe use the tow selection in town, then turn it off on the easy freeway?

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can try turning it off once at hwy speed. you'll feel it start to struggle if you really need the tow haul on. it raises the rpm's when on.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to tow a U-Haul 12'x6' / double axle, enclosed trailer. About 175 miles.... all flat roads, no hills.
( Florida - what do you expect Hills?? Not here...)... Ha....
Going to Palm Beach from Tampa area.
The 1,900lb. Trailer will not have heavy stuff inside it. Do I need to select the 'Tow Mode' ??

I am betting my Yukon may not even know the trailer is behind it. But, I want to treat my transmission right.

My thought is maybe use the tow selection in town, then turn it off on the easy freeway?

Pete, with that light a load the shifting will probably feel funny and you'll want to just leave it off. I'll be down in Palm Beach tomorrow, if you run into any problems give me a holler. Are you coming across via 60, 70 or 80? My manual says Tow/Haul is effective at or above 75% of GCWR.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete, with that light a load the shifting will probably feel funny and you'll want to just leave it off. I'll be down in Palm Beach tomorrow, if you run into any problems give me a holler. Are you coming across via 60, 70 or 80? My manual says Tow/Haul is effective at or above 75% of GCWR.

Thanks..... I plan to trailer to Wellington at the end of May. .... Taking I- 75 down to 80 from Ft Meyers.
Just hauling mattresses and stuff to a storage. We'll be moving there before end of year.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks..... I plan to trailer to Wellington at the end of May. .... Taking I- 75 down to 80 from Ft Meyers.
Just hauling mattresses and stuff to a storage. We'll be moving there before end of year.

Cool, well then we hope to see you at Palm Beach International Raceway (Moroso) at one of our meetups.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, well then we hope to see you at Palm Beach International Raceway (Moroso) at one of our meetups.

Are you kidding???? I may be working there (maybe).......
I do have plans to work for Orbit Racing ( Porsches, etc )..... located near the track....
Plus I have friends who are pro-Drag Racers who play there!
( Kyle Bush has a house in Wellington )

So, yup... I'll be at PBIR.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding???? I may be working there (maybe).......
I do have plans to work for Orbit Racing ( Porsches, etc )..... located near the track....
Plus I have friends who are pro-Drag Racers who play there!
( Kyle Bush has a house in Wellington )

So, yup... I'll be at PBIR.

Awesome, Randy is at the track quite frequently, either running or hanging out, I'm more of an annual visitor now. Twenty some years ago I was there several nights a week at that one and others around the country! Drag racing was in my blood, still a little bit left!

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, Randy is at the track quite frequently, either running or hanging out, I'm more of an annual visitor now. Twenty some years ago I was there several nights a week at that one and others around the country! Drag racing was in my blood, still a little bit left!

Cool !! The most I do with Nitro Funny Cars is wash parts at engine teardown, and raise the body at the starting line.

( Man, those suckers are loud and you get a hundred pieces of rubber bits on your clothes at launches!! )

I help at Nostalgic races now.. ( yea-yea-yea...... another picture )

thumbnail_IMG_20150417_185712176.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool !! The most I do with Nitro Funny Cars is wash parts at engine teardown, and raise the body at the starting line.

( Man, those suckers are loud and you get a hundred pieces of rubber bits on your clothes at launches!! )

I help at Nostalgic races now.. ( yea-yea-yea...... another picture )

View attachment 242169

Love it, reminds me of a John Force funny car model I built as a kid. Still have to get up to Don Garlit's museum of drag racing. Every single time I'm up that way it's been after hours, too early, too late, a holiday or the middle of the night, for decades!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN