Towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So i got the itch to finally buy a car trailer as i started working on ls swapping my foxbody mustang and make it a bracket car. I talked to a bunch of people i know about what size trailer to get and every single person said they have or have had a 18ft trailer and it was perfect for my mustang but if they could do it over again they would have bought a 20ft, So i ordered a 20ft but going to a 20ft i bumped it from 7k to 10k trailer. I wasnt really thinking of thrlr weight as its an open car trailer and no one else mentioned it when i talked to them but it weighs 2850lbs dry my mustang will be around 2900 when its all said and done.

My tow rig is 09 yukon 1500
I added a trans cooler as mine didnt have one from factory.
Brake controller
Did a bunch of motor work to give it a little more pep.(currently getting tuned)
Stock 6l80e i just rebuilt the techm 3 months ago.
3.42 gears.

I am purchasing new oem replacement shocks.
And i was thinking about either finding a replacement stock high coil spring for the rear but a HD version.
Or buying air bags you slip into the coil its self and inflate when towing.

Now i can not track down what my towing capabilities actually are online. Some sources say 5200-5400 and others say 8100-8400. I understand some of that is based on if you have the "heavy duty trailering package" aka trans cooler, brake controller and 3.42 gears. But it doesn't say whether there including the yukon xl in that range. I am willing to upgrade brakes, change gears or even buy a new driveshaft if need be.

So does anyone have experience towing 6k with a similar truck to mine?

I shot my self in the foot not thinking about the actual weight of the trailer being a 10k trailer.

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you post your RPO code listing from the glove box I believe the code with your tow rating is on there. (Could be wrong I'm not a guru in that department).

6,000lbs is really not bad at all I tow that and more pretty often and the chassis handles it very well. Much better than my 1500 series pickup truck.

My biggest suggestion would be airbags in the rear so you can fine tune how stiff you want it depending on the load you have. The 6l80 is a pretty beefy unit I don't think you will have any issues there especially with a transcooler but you should still keep an eye on the temps.

Anything else is really dependent on your towing style and how far/what region you will be towing in. If your towing several hours in mountains or hills to get to the track then I wouldn't want a 1500 series truck for that. If its an hour or 2 across mostly flat ground I think you will be fine. If you feel the need for more power then I would consider gears to be the best improvement.

Biggest thing is just take it slow.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So i got the itch to finally buy a car trailer as i started working on ls swapping my foxbody mustang and make it a bracket car. I talked to a bunch of people i know about what size trailer to get and every single person said they have or have had a 18ft trailer and it was perfect for my mustang but if they could do it over again they would have bought a 20ft, So i ordered a 20ft but going to a 20ft i bumped it from 7k to 10k trailer. I wasnt really thinking of thrlr weight as its an open car trailer and no one else mentioned it when i talked to them but it weighs 2850lbs dry my mustang will be around 2900 when its all said and done.

My tow rig is 09 yukon 1500.
Brake controller
Did a bunch of motor work to give it a little more pep.(currently getting tuned)
3.42 gears.

And i was thinking about either finding a replacement stock high coil spring for the rear but a HD version.

Now i can not track down what my towing capabilities actually are online. Some sources say 5200-5400 and others say 8100-8400. I understand some of that is based on if you have the "heavy duty trailering package" aka trans cooler, brake controller and 3.42 gears. But it doesn't say whether there including the yukon xl in that range. I am willing to upgrade brakes, change gears or even buy a new driveshaft if need be.

I shot my self in the foot not thinking about the actual weight of the trailer being a 10k trailer.
which engine?

OP
OP
JDopirak

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you post your RPO code listing from the glove box I believe the code with your tow rating is on there. (Could be wrong I'm not a guru in that department).

6,000lbs is really not bad at all I tow that and more pretty often and the chassis handles it very well. Much better than my 1500 series pickup truck.

My biggest suggestion would be airbags in the rear so you can fine tune how stiff you want it depending on the load you have. The 6l80 is a pretty beefy unit I don't think you will have any issues there especially with a transcooler but you should still keep an eye on the temps.

Anything else is really dependent on your towing style and how far/what region you will be towing in. If your towing several hours in mountains or hills to get to the track then I wouldn't want a 1500 series truck for that. If its an hour or 2 across mostly flat ground I think you will be fine. If you feel the need for more power then I would consider gears to be the best improvement.

which engine?
5.3 sorry i just edited my post

Reaction score
You will have lots of room on that 20' open trailer with your mustang. I have an 18' open trailer (16' wood deck, 2' diamond plate dovetail) and usually tow a '95 5.0 or a '02 4.6. The trailer's max weight capacity is 7k lbs and weighs about 1800lbs. I have a box on the front with winch, straps, tie downs, etc, and usually also place a 10x10 pop up canopy in it's bag and a few cinder blocks across the front of the deck for transport. So the entire weight I'm towing is about 5200-5500.

I haven't used my 2012 Denali to tow yet, but my 2001 SLT with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears did fine on mostly flat ground (across Missouri, from STL to Indy, and STL to Bowling Green). I did install a larger trans cooler and a good brake controller. The 2001 is rated at only like 280hp and has the 4l60e trans. I'm slowly transitioning to a larger trans cooler and installing a brake controller on the 2012 so I can use it to tow.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Reaction score
Also, depending on what suspension you have, whether it's the auto-leveling, air suspension or conventional type. I have the conventional on the 2001 and I did install airlift bags in the rear coils and mounted the inflation valve near the trailer 7pin plug. I would keep them at 10psi when not towing and inflate them to about 30psi when towing. It helped with keeping the rear from sagging.

Also, the placement of the car on the trailer makes a big difference also. I found with my 18' trailer, if I placed the rear bumper of the mustang about even (or just a little forward) of the rear edge of the trailer it left about 2-2.5' in front between the car and end of the deck and also make the tongue weight just under 500lbs

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My tow rig is 09 yukon 1500
Brake controller
3.42 gears.

Joe,

You can tow something rated for more than you can tow if you don't exceed your own rating. Does that make sense? How did the TECHM rebuild work out?

Ok, you have the short RWD 2009 GMC Yukon with 3.42 gears if memory serves right? Yours does not have the external engine oil or transmission coolers right? If correct, you are rated to tow 5,900 pounds with a GCWR of 11,500 pounds.

Upgrading to the K5L standard will allow you to tow 8,400 pounds with a GCWR of 14,000 pounds.

The K5L Enhanced Cooling Package aka HD Cooling Package aka Trailering Heavy-Duty Cooling Package consists of 700 watt electric cooling fans, a radiator with the built in engine oil cooler (KC4) and the external transmission oil cooler (KNP).

Reaction score
@swathdiver, I think he has an 09 1500 listed as his vehicle, so that would be an XL?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

OP
OP
JDopirak

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Joe,

You can tow something rated for more than you can tow if you don't exceed your own rating. Does that make sense? How did the TECHM rebuild work out?

Ok, you have the short RWD 2009 GMC Yukon with 3.42 gears if memory serves right? Yours does not have the external engine oil or transmission coolers right? If correct, you are rated to tow 5,900 pounds with a GCWR of 11,500 pounds.

Upgrading to the K5L standard will allow you to tow 8,400 pounds with a GCWR of 14,000 pounds.

The K5L Enhanced Cooling Package aka HD Cooling Package aka Trailering Heavy-Duty Cooling Package consists of 700 watt electric cooling fans, a radiator with the built in engine oil cooler (KC4) and the external transmission oil cooler (KNP).
Joe,

My truck is currently at the tuners so i cant look at rpo code right now but you are correct 09 5.3 4x4 short body no external cooler factory and no built in brake control factory. But i do have 3.42s i do remember that when looking at rpo codes when i got it.

I guess i did " upgrade" to the K5L package with adding a second cooler that is external so it goes through rad and then into external cooler amd back into the trans i may add a fan im not sure yet. Plus the brake controller.

So with that being said i should be able to tow up to 8400 and be within GM'S reccomended tow rating. As i not technically have that trailering package?

TECHM went slow lol. I found all of the valve body tq specs and procedures,all the placements of the check balls. I watched countless videos and just took my time and it fixed all of my trans issues with the exception of the 2-3 flare. 3 out of 4 diphgrams where cracked/ blown out. I replaced all the check balls, new plate in the valve body i also took some of the springs out and did an overall cleaning of the valve body. I cut open filter and took it to local trans shop and they said it looked perfect for 113k trans.

20191013_151306.jpg 20191013_154933.jpg 20190423_011547.jpg

Last edited: