Towing A Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulS63

Reaction score
I thought so too, just put the transfer case control on the N position.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drop the rear driveshaft mechanically speaking...the driveshaft is still going to turn and rotate the output shaft of the transfer case on a 4wd, or the tranny on a 2wd. Either way the bearings/bushings on the output shaft, the seal etc. will all be spinning with no fluid circulating/lubricating. Short distance might work, long distance you're in for a tranny/transfercase or both. (seen it a year ago on a buddy's work van that he told the tow driver not to come with a hook, but a flatbed, sure enough 50 mile trip tranny fried after 150k without any prior issues)

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also the fact that an automatic tranny is hydralic as opposed to a manual wich is basically gears submerged in fluid
most automatic trans have an engine driven front lubrication pump so when the vehicle is off being towed the transmission is not getting lubrication
so usually ona towed vehicle an transission lube pump is installed
there are only a few model vehicles that i know of that have automatic transmissions that can be flat towed the older saterns being one of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito