Towing 10k with 2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigNorm4Life

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How’s it going guys… I need some insight

I’m looking for a SUV that can tow 10k… nothing more than that number and I narrowed it down between an ‘05 Excursion and a ‘13 2500 Suburban

The tow trailer in questions is either a Black Series HQ17 or HQ19 so while the HQ17 has a lower base tongue weight… both trailers have a max GVWR of 10k and the suburban falls rather shy of that magic number… factor in a 10k tongue and I’m maxed out… but not that much

This SUV will pull double duty as a family hauler which is why I didn’t consider a 2500 pickup from the get go

So if I was considering throwing money at a 6.0 Excursion to make it reliable… is it possible if I throw enough money at the Suburban… it can tow what I need?

I was thinking throwing on:

Maggie on the 6.0 gasser
Gear swap
BDS 4 inch Coilover lift kit
Maybe 3500 springs in the rear?
Re gear if necessary

Any chance I can pull 10k with this set up… personally I rather get the Excursion and be done with the towing concerns but that interior while Spartan (I like Spartan) It’s very dated considering whichever vehicle I go with I plan to keep for a good long time

OP
OP
B

BigNorm4Life

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Matt_ @intheburbs

What part of the country will you be towing?

Have you considered a Duraburb?

Gearing is what allows these things to tow. Putting taller tires is going to pull that effective ratio down so you'll want to do gears if going with a taller tire.

I’m in Pennsylvania… and right now I imagine we will be taking many trips to the west coast which mean mountains… which is why I would invest in a supercharger

I’m going to need a lift because the burb and the travel trailer would be used off road

Lol I’m middle working class… I can’t afford a new Tahoe/Yukon much less a duraburb lol… didn’t the company stop making those?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in Pennsylvania… and right now I imagine we will be taking many trips to the west coast which mean mountains… which is why I would invest in a supercharger

I’m going to need a lift because the burb and the travel trailer would be used off road

Lol I’m middle working class… I can’t afford a new Tahoe/Yukon much less a duraburb lol… didn’t the company stop making those?
Last time I checked, they are still making them. They will make one from a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton and sometimes can be found for sale by folks who bought them.

When Matt checks in he can tell you how much weight his lift and tires added to his 2500. The lift and tires on my daughter's Sierra added about 350 pounds which reduces payload capacity. Interestingly, her truck in stock trim is rated to tow 10,400 pounds and it is a 1/2 ton. The 2500 are way over built for the task but going to 4.10s will restore the tractive lost by running a taller tire. 4.33s or 4.56s will give a little more oompf and help with towing such a load.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
A big lift and towing at 100% of capacity is a recipe for risk and unpleasant driving experience.

Also seldom mentioned is the maximum tow rating is achieved with minimal cargo weight in the vehicle almost always. Loading up the interior with people and gear will detract from what’s left for GVWR to handle the tongue load and GCVWR for the combination.

If I lift a rig, I consider the towing capability to be significantly derated.

As far as the Ford, trying to eliminate all the design failures in the 6.0 AND make a 17 year old vehicle reliable for cross country? Money pit & low probability of success.

This scenario arises with some regularity on the RV forums, and unfortunately there is not a great solution for people who need the towing capability of a truck while simultaneously hauling more people than fit in a crew cab truck.

If I were backed into the corner, I’d search far and wide for the 6.8 gas Excursion. Or the 8.1 Burb. And keep them close to stock.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another one to consider is Duramax Specialties. I know you said that cost is a significant factor, but they have 07+ conversions starting at $50K out the door. I spoke to them last year when I was going through similar tribulations (need to tow a heavy camper and still seat 6 sometimes), and I can't remember what the number he quoted me was, but it was less than that if starting with my 2012 XL Denali as a base.

By the time you get done buying a 2500, adding a Maggie and all of the other upgrades you'll need, you're going to be in the $50K ballpark anyway. If I needed to tow 10K and still haul people and a dog, a Duramax conversion is what I would choose, and I'm a work-a-day guy too.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is a contractor and frequently travels out to state and has to tow everything except the kitchen sink. He was a Dodge guy for a while but the generation he had compromised reliability for a loud, raw ride. He traded his 07 5.9L 2500 single cab for a one owner 13 Chevy 3500 2x cab (non-dually) LT with the 6.6L duramax long bed. It's equipped from the factory with integral trailer brake and Jake brake.

It has all the features and options you'd find in a Denali including the heated f/r seats as well as cooled front seats. It will pull stumps at 455/322tq. He just broke 200K mi on it and it's having its injectors and fuel pump changed at the moment. I've driven it with his 30ft pilot house Parker sporting twin Mercury 4 stroke beasts out back. You don't know its towing anything and the truck drives better when towing. Safe is the word I use to describe it when I'm in it.

The interior is identical to an LTZ Burb or Denali. It sounds like you're into a Duraburb or a 2500/3500 (3/4 - 1 Ton) truck as it's obvious you'll have more in tow than what's behind you.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my favorites

Wow...he was towing a 12,000# camper with stock 6.0 Escalades for years before he made the switch. 2,000# tongue weight plus 5 kids in the thing. I wouldn't do it, but I understand it. Thanks for the find, Michael. This is why I come here - to learn things I didn't know.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance I can pull 10k with this set up…
Short answer? No

I've avoided this thread because lifting and max towing are mutually exclusive, and anyone trying to do both is living in a dream world. I always laugh at the guys on the Jeep fora trying to get max towing capability out of their lifted rigs.

Could it tow? Yes
Could it tow safely and reliably for a long time? Not just no, but hell no.

I tow an 8600-lb trailer with my 2008 Suburban 2500. With family and gear on board, I'm completely maxed out on my weight ratings.

The Excursion will be no better. Look closely, and the axle ratings of the Excursion are actually lower than the Suburban. And the diesel Excursions, while tow monsters, actually lose payload compared to the gassers because of the weight of the diesel, especially the earlier models with the 7.3.

The 2000-2006 Suburbans with the 8.1 and 4.10 are rated for 12,000 lbs of towing. That would be my suggestion. But if you actually find a good one with lower miles and no rust, it'll be $15k or higher, maybe even north of $20k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645