Towing 10k with 2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got an 07 Suburban 2500, and I think you’d be well served by a ‘13. The best place for info on the 2500 models is actually a Facebook group dedicated to them, at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1733635880235636/ . I’ve got a Facebook account just for that group!

So yeah, IMO a small lift would be OK but like many will say if you’re pulling that much weight you’ll want to stay as low as possible. Factory payload on the 2500s is around 2300lbs, so you’ll be just fine there as long as the tongue isn’t overloaded.

Quite a few guys on the Facebook group have supercharged their 6.0s and most seem to enjoy it quite a bit, but most are quick to point out that it’s just as important to get rid of heat for towing reliability. So a big aftermarket transmission cooler (I run a tru-cool 40k, awesome overkill) is highly recommended. If you plan on towing a 10k lb trailer a handful of times per year I’d totally do the supercharger and 34” tires and 4.56 gears, but if you’ll be towing more than that I’d just hunt down a Duraburb (Duramax-converted 2500). Nick Controy runs the Duraburb company and does a great job building them, and can build to your specs and needs if you’d like. Then you get the nice interior of the Suburban, probably a bit harsher ride vs a stock burb 2500 but still better than an Escalade, and all the torques!

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, I don’t think you’ll even be close to 10k lbs on one of the Black Series trailers. They’ve got really high GVWR ratings because they’re well built, but at a dry weight of under 6k lbs on the HQ17 you’ll be hard pressed to be pulling more than 8-8.5k lbs unless you start filling drawers with lead.