Tow Package Air Shock Replacement Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2016 Yukon with the auto leveling towing package option may need new rear shocks. The truck had 56K miles now and n a 500 mile road trip yesterday I noticed excessive rear end bouncing as if there was little or no shock dampening at all.

Has anyone else experienced this with this option? If so did you replace the shocks and if so what with?

I like the auto leveling and the truck rode great in the past...maybe the rear shocks are shot and need to be replaced. BTW...the auto level still works and has no air leaks.

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if the shock went bad that early. If you replace go with GM or lots of guys use Arnott

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if the shock went bad that early. If you replace go with GM or lots of guys use Arnott

I agree and have used Arnott on an Escalade with good results. I'm wondering if there is a setting or adjustment that I can manually override the air pressure being delivered to the rear shocks when there is no substantial load on them. It seems that there is too much air in them and that may be creating the problem.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree and have used Arnott on an Escalade with good results. I'm wondering if there is a setting or adjustment that I can manually override the air pressure being delivered to the rear shocks when there is no substantial load on them. It seems that there is too much air in them and that may be creating the problem.

Shorten the links to the rear upper trailing links to let air out of the bags. Most do this with 2-3/4” long 10-24 all thread rod.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s not much to it. Here’s a picture of what they look like. Using the threaded rod John mentioned you just unscrew the ends on yours and screw them on the 2 3/4” rod you got and reinstall.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...MI3OHgs8jr4wIVLR6tBh2foAVWEAQYAyABEgKBIvD_BwE

So...I guess it's as simple as buying a stick of 10-24 ATR...cut it to make 2: pieces 2 3/4", remove the rods I have on the truck now, take the ends off...put them on the new shorter rods...re install and I'm done.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I guess it's as simple as buying a stick of 10-24 ATR...cut it to make 2: pieces 2 3/4", remove the rods I have on the truck now, take the ends off...put them on the new shorter rods...re install and I'm done.

Is your yukon stock as far as ride height? If so, I dont understand why you would need to adjust the sensor arms. You may have another issue.... or the shocks are just worn out.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would work too. When we lowered my truck we just bent mine at both ends.

Christoph

Reaction score
Our 2016 Yukon with the auto leveling towing package option may need new rear shocks. The truck had 56K miles now and n a 500 mile road trip yesterday I noticed excessive rear end bouncing as if there was little or no shock dampening at all.

Has anyone else experienced this with this option? If so did you replace the shocks and if so what with?

I like the auto leveling and the truck rode great in the past...maybe the rear shocks are shot and need to be replaced. BTW...the auto level still works and has no air leaks.

Thanks

What ever came of your shock problem? I have a 2015 Yukon with Tow package and Z85 suspension and the air shocks on the back are very stiff and do not absorb bumps very well. 92K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne