Tow Package Air Shock Replacement Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your shocks have to much air in them then the air pump release valve is probably stuck, when you turn the key to run you should hear the pump kick on for a few seconds and then immediately release a bit of air, if you can't hear it release then the valve is probably stuck.

Christoph

Reaction score
if your shocks have to much air in them then the air pump release valve is probably stuck, when you turn the key to run you should hear the pump kick on for a few seconds and then immediately release a bit of air, if you can't hear it release then the valve is probably stuck.

Can the release valve by manually opened?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What’s the RPO code of that tow package ... Z55, Z85, ZW7?

Curious if you have Nivomat self leveling struts (no compressor) or AutoRide (compressor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the RPO code of that tow package ... Z55, Z85, ZW7?

Curious if you have Nivomat self leveling struts (no compressor) or AutoRide (compressor).

Self leveling struts? How do those work?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Here’s the complete generic explanation...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nivomat

So Sachs developed them, every manufacturer that uses them infers it’s their technology. Pretty cool design that captures the energy of the shock to maintain the ride height. Good times with Nivomat simplicity and regenerative braking on hybrids.

Christoph

Reaction score
no, with a tech2 it can be commanded to operate, if you want to release air otherwise just pull the air line off

Follow-up: Pulled the air line off the RR shock and the rear dropped a good bit. The ride improved tremendously! It looks like that the RR shock was stuck fully extended. After reinstalling the air line, the compressor came on for a few seconds but did not pump the shocks up like they were. They seem to be normal but the car is new to me and I honestly don't know what the ride should be like. I believe that getting new shocks will still improve the ride at 93K miles.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow-up: Pulled the air line off the RR shock and the rear dropped a good bit. The ride improved tremendously! It looks like that the RR shock was stuck fully extended. After reinstalling the air line, the compressor came on for a few seconds but did not pump the shocks up like they were. They seem to be normal but the car is new to me and I honestly don't know what the ride should be like. I believe that getting new shocks will still improve the ride at 93K miles.
ok here is another test you can do, start up the truck and then quickly go over by the gas tank filler area and get down by the wheel and listen to the air pump, you should hear it release air first for just a second, then it will pump air, then you will hear air release again. if it does not release air then the relief valve is stuck and that would be the cause of the problem. if the valve is stuck all it is doing is pumping up the shock more and more until it is just hard as a rock.

Christoph

Reaction score
ok here is another test you can do, start up the truck and then quickly go over by the gas tank filler area and get down by the wheel and listen to the air pump, you should hear it release air first for just a second, then it will pump air, then you will hear air release again. if it does not release air then the relief valve is stuck and that would be the cause of the problem. if the valve is stuck all it is doing is pumping up the shock more and more until it is just hard as a rock.

So I performed the test as you directed. The air pump did not release air nor did it come on. This was the first time I started the car since last night when I pulled the line from the shock. ?!?!?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I performed the test as you directed. The air pump did not release air nor did it come on. This was the first time I started the car since last night when I pulled the line from the shock. ?!?!?
normal operation is for the pump to come on each time the key is turned to run. I have had to replace my air pump before for the exact same reason.
here is some more technical information on how the system operates or should operate.

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/gm-autoride-diagnostics-service-and-conversion/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu