Tow button and higher stall torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I tow a 7000 pound boat and had to rebuild my transmission. I had them upgrade the transmission and they also added a 2200 stall torque converter.
now when I drive if I press the tow button nothing changes in my RPM shift timing….shifts at same rpm whether in tow/haul mode or not. The light illuminates on the dash.

does that make sense to anybody…. is it because I added a higher style torque converter?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I tow a 7000 pound boat and had to rebuild my transmission. I had them upgrade the transmission and they also added a 2200 stall torque converter.
now when I drive if I press the tow button nothing changes in my RPM shift timing….shifts at same rpm whether in tow/haul mode or not. The light illuminates on the dash.

does that make sense to anybody…. is it because I added a higher style torque converter?
Did you ever have the truck tuned after the converter? If not I would highly recommend it. Find a local GOOD tuner who knows what he is doing and he should be able to ride with you up the road and adjust the shift points the line pressure for how firm it shifts and when it shifts and get it exactly to how you want to drive.
My new truck is about to get tuned and it drives like a DOG over my tuned Tahoe

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on getting it tuned. its likely slipping more then t/h mode did so you cant feel it like you used to. the apply release files need to be touched up some. maybe the shift points, so it locks up at slower speed/ less throttle, and lets loose when you get into it to.

ive got a 3400 stall in my camaro with a 6l80e, before tuning it, it just didnt feel right. once i got it tuned omg what a difference. i just happen to dabble with tuning, and i own a hptuners, so i was able to tune it my self.

ive even tuned my tahoe up a bit, its all stock. trans tune is like 90% of what you feel when you get a tune in a stock set up.

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
Thanks all....I think a tune is exactly what I need....I'll need to verify with the transmission builder that it won't void my warranty.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all....I think a tune is exactly what I need....I'll need to verify with the transmission builder that it won't void my warranty.
he should have suggested you go get it tuned for the t/c even with it being a low stall in general. cant see how any of that would void a warranty, or better yet, dont tell him a thing.......he clearly wont know if it was tuned or not.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tunes only void the warranty AFTER they have been DISCOVERED.
The best tunes improve longevity and durability beyond OE (tune hesitaters simply cannot understand or believe this).

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... think a tune is exactly what I need.
I'll need to verify with the transmission builder that it won't void my warranty.
There is no transmission builder that should be able to void a warranty based on whether or not the pcm / tcm has been tuned.
Having said that, the tuner should always tune knowing as much as possible about the (engine and) transmission being tuned prior to tuning.
Any competent tuner who has been well-informed about what engine and transmission they are working with will not endanger any warranty in any way.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting, how does this tune work?

What software they use? Can you do do it yourself?

Has someone information, like a website?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts