Totaled '03 Z71, already bought another

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z71dreaming

Z71dreaming

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you get to negotiate the value or was it a "take it or leave it" deal?
Vehicle value is negotiable to the extent where you have to provide comps or show that they missed certain vehicle options to prove it's worth more than they say. From my research and the comps they provided it was a fair deal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our state does not allow "totaled" vehicles to be put back on the road. Once it gets that designation it's salvage only.
Since that is the case, you can bet that such will be circumvented by getting them out of state or not declaring them totaled or whatever terms they use.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our state does not allow "totaled" vehicles to be put back on the road. Once it gets that designation it's salvage only.
What state is this? Its easy to get a rebuilt title in nearly all states except for New York/Jersey. And even if they do issue a salvage, usually you can just got to the neighboring state, and get it done there.

I agree, that black one did not look totaled. Right around 2000 for me to rebuild it. But its gone now.. :(

The white one looks sharp as hell!

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me of January 13th (Friday the 13th!). My 05 Yukon was T-***** on the driver side by a utility truck. My 16 year old son was driving. The utility truck (a 10,000 lb. vehicle) hit us at about 45-50 mph. And guess what, we walked away without a scratch. That good old Yukon saved us. Tho I will miss it, less than a week later picked up an 03 Tahoe LT with 108,000 original miles, AND white!! Good job on the initial upgrades. I'm doing brake/suspension and exhaust stuff now, but will definitely be getting some of those headlight/taillight upgrades soon.

OP
OP
Z71dreaming

Z71dreaming

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me of January 13th (Friday the 13th!). My 05 Yukon was T-***** on the driver side by a utility truck. My 16 year old son was driving. The utility truck (a 10,000 lb. vehicle) hit us at about 45-50 mph. And guess what, we walked away without a scratch. That good old Yukon saved us. Tho I will miss it, less than a week later picked up an 03 Tahoe LT with 108,000 original miles, AND white!! Good job on the initial upgrades. I'm doing brake/suspension and exhaust stuff now, but will definitely be getting some of those headlight/taillight upgrades soon.
I'm going to be doing pads and rotors soon here. Also plugs and wires. What are you doing for exhaust?

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing pads and rotors soon here. Also plugs and wires. What are you doing for exhaust?
I just installed a flowmaster 70 series and it sounds great. Had a 50 series on my Yukon but it was a little noisy for me, drone cab noise. So this 70 is perfect. Will prolly addd some headers later on but it’s good for now.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What state is this? Its easy to get a rebuilt title in nearly all states except for New York/Jersey. And even if they do issue a salvage, usually you can just got to the neighboring state, and get it done there.
Not here.
Insurance adjuster quoted a figure for us to keep the damaged vehicle (if they totaled it) and confirmed that it could not be sold to be put back on the road here. Just salvage material.
DMV has it covered regarding your idea about neighboring state. Out of state titles trigger further investigation and inspection at the DMV so the salvage title would not disappear. I can appreciate the out of state oversight because they are looking out for us with regard to stolen vehicles.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not here.
Insurance adjuster quoted a figure for us to keep the damaged vehicle (if they totaled it) and confirmed that it could not be sold to be put back on the road here. Just salvage material.
DMV has it covered regarding your idea about neighboring state. Out of state titles trigger further investigation and inspection at the DMV so the salvage title would not disappear. I can appreciate the out of state oversight because they are looking out for us with regard to stolen vehicles.
MA RMV is also very uptight on registering salvage/rebuild vehicles for on-road use. First, there is only one or two designated inspection stations in the entire state that will inspect and determine if a salvage or rebuild titled vehicle meets requirements to be considered road-worthy. I don't think they make appointments, so first come first served. The inspection process takes a lot longer than typical in/out inspection, because they have to get into a lot more things inside and out. You might not even get yours in the day you took off to be there and have to come back again.

With a totalled truck in MA, it is probably best to keep for your own parts truck and pick what you need off it as you need it. Or... Most likely, it would end up a back yard part-out or selling the whole truck for "parts or repair". Someone willing to buy a parts/repair can deal with trying to register it or ship it off to a state that does not look at anything after they get their fess and taxes collected.

I think TN (beautiful country) might be one. I have seen vehicles up here with TN plates, that turned out to be unregistered or stolen plates. Couldn't even look up in RMV computers to see if a plate was active/inactive/stolen status or even what vehicle it belonged to. Results just would just comeback "Not Available".

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear someone actually got taken care of by insurance... I know myself and countless others havent been so lucky.

Congrats on the new one. The white looks like it was well taken care of for sure.