Total loss of electrical power while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which battery do you have? If it is Delco, I would be wary. I had so much trouble years ago, and from what I read, they are not better. The 02 XL 2500 has a new Interstate, and good since I got it in April. I had 3 Optimas in 19 years ( still have the third one - in different car now ). I've had the bad ground from firewall ( body ) to block, and that made gauges act funny, but the car still ran ok.
I've had great success with ACDelco batteries. My last 30 month battery lasted almost six years and could have rejuvenated it with a tender and squeezed another year but didn't have the time.

As for the OPs problems, this is usually indicative of a loose or corroded battery cable off of the battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 denali yukon xl
really hoping all of you can help us figure this out! The guys at firestone didn't believe me until I showed them the video! see the link :). This car has been a mess since we bought it a year ago, needed all new evap system, new alternator... now this. Would LOVE to add 200K more miles to it and have it run smoothly for our family! But depending on what the dealership says $$$$ we might have to cut our losses and move on!
I wouldn't call the evap and a alternator a total mess, standard maintenance stuff on these 10+ year old vehicles

Reaction score
2012 - you should look at the 2012 Tahoe/Yukon Forum as well. The issues you are seeing don't come up as often in the older trucks - less electronics. Not sure where you live ( NorthEast, South, etc ), but you need to check the grounds for good contact, and look for any water intrusion - Leaking Sunroof, spilled drinks, etc.

Does the car actually shut off, or do you have a blinking light session happen?

jt8412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the evap and a alternator a total mess, standard maintenance stuff on these 10+ year old vehicles
you are right, wasn't looking at it like that- just all happening in a short period of time $ has me feeling like it is a mess

Reaction score
Check the battery cables for corrosion. If you have pictures of the cable connections to show us, that would be helpful. I know some folks have had good experience with Delco Batteries, I have not. If you have a Costco Membership, their prices on Interstate Batteries are very good - 1 battery paid for the membership, and I bought 2 in the last year ( to replace non Interstate batteries )

Reaction score
Check the battery cables for corrosion. If you have pictures of the cable connections to show us, that would be helpful. I know some folks have had good experience with Delco Batteries, I have not. If you have a Costco Membership, their prices on Interstate Batteries are very good - 1 battery paid for the membership, and I bought 2 in the last year ( to replace non Interstate batteries )

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have anyone that can help you, I heard young children in the video, with some of these suggestions. As suggested by really good mechanical folks on this forum, the easier things to check first, make sure both battery cables are tight, make sure you have a good strong battery, check the battery cables themselves as they can corrode on the inside of the cables, both positive and negative, check the ground areas where the other end of the cables attach to the truck and make sure the contact areas are clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar