Power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Antonio757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not believe that the replacement of only the muffler itself would cause any backflow pressure change issues that would significantly cause negative performance.

I believe that something else changed with the installation of the muffler. If you are getting a service engine light, there must be underlying trouble codes that are causing it to light. I'm not sure what scanner you are using, but if it is not a full service bi-directional scanner, it is probably missing the trouble codes that are present.
The check engine light was on prior to the cat and muffler installation. One of the codes it was reading at first was due to a clog cat.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that you changed a cat in addition to changing the muffler?
Maybe he changed the cats because they were damaged because he had a misfire before?

Argh...I hate when we don't get the whole story or history from OPs.

Nothing against you OP, but it's always best to give us big picture and background, then explain your problem so folks here can understand what's going on.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s no engine code but the service engine light is blinking. The scanner from Auto Zone didn’t pick any up. Not sure why. It’s definitely a problem. I filled up my tank about 4 pm yesterday and ran out of gas 10 am this morning.
flashing cel means multiple misfires. you either need a tune up super bad, or the cats are clogged up. if the lights flashing fix it asap. pretty much means theres a catastrophic event going on.

next time it flashes, scan the truck running, dont turn it off or you'll clear the pending code making the cel flash.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
flashing cel means multiple misfires. you either need a tune up super bad, or the cats are clogged up. if the lights flashing fix it asap. pretty much means theres a catastrophic event going on.

next time it flashes, scan the truck running, dont turn it off or you'll clear the pending code making the cel flash.

^^x2^^

Using that much fuel seems to indicate that it's dumping fuel into the cylinders. Doing that will kill the (new) cats, and soon. Based on the plugged cat that you replaced, this has been going on for a while. Should look at misfire counters, fuel trims and fuel management to verify. Might need someone with diagnostic knowledge to put their hands on it.

OP
OP
A

Antonio757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I’m thinking the misfires are from my leaking valve covers. Getting them fixed asap!

blondie70

Reaction score
I just had the oem muffler removed and a Magnaflow installed yesterday. Truck runs great Good luck with yours.

OP
OP
A

Antonio757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe he changed the cats because they were damaged because he had a misfire before?

Argh...I hate when we don't get the whole story or history from OPs.

Nothing against you OP, but it's always best to give us big picture and background, then explain your problem so folks here can understand what's going on.
Yes, that cat and muffler has be changed. I think it the leak I’ve found from the value cover in the left side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019