torsion keys question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
96 tahoe stock with 285/75r16 . 107k

ok its time for new tires, i got about 60k and 10 years on these bf goodrich ta ko s and i want to run the same size again on a new set of rims. what i don't want is to have the same problem with the front fender. its not too bad but they rub when i hit a good bump, especially when offroad. i was really upset the first time it happened and i saw the cuts in the tread. cut right into the corners. i will probably have the fenders trimmed a little if i can, i don't know how much room that will get me. the new rims will likely be close to the stock backspacing, and i think i will have to do something with the torsion bars. my question is regarding the aftermarket torsion bar keys like suspension max. they claim to give you the lift without sacrificing the ride quality. i wonder if that is true. i see that they have a key that you can choose how much lift you want. how does this actually work? does it load up the bar or does it change the bar's geometry? i only need 1.5 to 2 " of room. i know i could get this by cranking the stock keys but if i could get the lift with new keys and keep the ride quality, i would go for it. i am not really interested in a 'real' suspension lift because like i said i am not getting huge tires and the wife likes it the way it is now. for some reason she doesn't like the idea of climbing up into the truck, i don't get it but there you go.

what do you guys think about it?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if anyone buys after market keys for an OBS my recomendation is to put them in a sock and beat your self with them....it's the NBS and NNBS trucks that need keys to get the max lift out of the torsion bars.

Do not buy keys, crank your stockers. The stock keys on our trucks are indexed enough to allow you to crank unitl you hit the stops...which is too far. Take a measurement on your truck not and add an inch or 2 max and be done with it. all keys work the same way, they load up and raise the front up.

The way to keep the ride close to stock is to not crank to the stops (suspension travel is important, the guys that complain about the ride are the guys cranked to the max), and add a slightly longer shock. it's really that easy.

quietfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a add on question, if you want to keep your stock shocks, whats the most you can crank the index? the bilstiens i brought are rated from 0-2 inches lift, does that mean i'm good under 2inches?
thanks

OP
OP
W

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks, i think if i can get an inch or two, that is enough. also good that i don't have to spend extra money. i do have the stock bilsteins which probably have 60k on them. maybe its time to replace?

felskee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
obs=old body style nbs=new body style. nnbs same thing. just typo

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
woodman, you may need some shocks up front, really depends on the amount of travel they have. Give them a try, if it's not enough get longer.

OP
OP
W

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dumb question?

how do i know if my shock is too short? is there an easy way to tell? maybe i loosen up the bottom end and see if it will go in after the lift?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924