Torsion bar and upper control arm questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my keys and spacers, and my front looks exactly like yours with the upper arm laying on the down travel stops. Truck looks really tall and I am wondering if I indexed the keys one notch too far?

I, too, had my bars out (for my coilover swap) and have no idea which bar was in what orientation... but didnt really think it mattered at all. Upper ball joints are screaming atm :-/

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed my keys and spacers, and my front looks exactly like yours with the upper arm laying on the down travel stops. Truck looks really tall and I am wondering if I indexed the keys one notch too far?

I, too, had my bars out (for my coilover swap) and have no idea which bar was in what orientation... but didnt really think it mattered at all. Upper ball joints are screaming atm :-/

Pics please! I wanna see it lifted lol

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics please! I wanna see it lifted lol

I'll have a thread when I'm all done and get it cleaned up. Night and day from what it was though

Gonna re index the keys tonight... that's the only thing that makes sense to me

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible you swapped the driver and passenger side bars?

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible you swapped the driver and passenger side bars?

Are they different? I took mine out and tossed them in the corner of the garage for about a year while I ran coilovers... didnt mark them to distunguish and honestly I just thought they were identical so it didnt matter... so yes its very possible

Edit: just did some research and same part # but found out that swapping sides will definitely lead to what we both have going on. Basically theyve been twisted in one direction for 10yrs (on mine) and now they're twisted in the opposite direction... so I went and looked and sure enough, there's a friggin "R" stamped on the one I can see so I assume an "L" on the other one. I'll be swapping them back tonight and hopefully that's not gonna cause any damage

Last edited:

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to the OP: I swapped bars last night from driver's to passenger side and was able to adjust the bolt to get the arms off the down stops. I feel a little dumb now but hey, live and learn right?

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how are you jacking the vehicle up when you adjusting the torsion bar bolt

If you're just adjusting the bolt you dont really need to jack it up... if you're removing a key you should jack it up to get the tire off the ground, and use a jackstand bc if the jack gives out, there is no spring to catch the weight

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when adjusting the torsion bars you dont need to jack it up? I have been meaning to crank mine about 1/2" lift

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joerob25