Torque Converters... help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay - Let me start by saying I know just enough to be dangerous about these... at least as far as when stall points are involved.

As you know I swapped my 5.3 for a 6.0 ** LQ9...

Looking to upgrade tranny, and while I am at it the TC too.

First of all speaking in terms of Stock / OEM settings.. Is the TC from the 5.3 vs. the 6.0 different? Different stall?

Second - what do you guys recomend for a TC for my 6.0.. I do quite a bit of towing of that matters??

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock trans cooler - Think I should upgrade it??

Thoughts on which one would be an easy fit?

Thanks for the help all!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would cram the biggest tranny cooler you can behind your grill, whether you were upgrading or staying stock, it's cheap insurance for any transmission!! I can't remember what I ended up with size wise when I upgraded, if I get a chance tomorrow I will take a look!!

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a TC is one of the most poorly understood parts of a drivetrain, me included. Would someone care to give me a "simple" explanation of how they work....

I've heard the "imagine two floor fans, one sitting in front of the other ...blahblah" didn't do anything for me.

B

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Here's one explanation from another LS1tech guy I found interesting:

DannoWS6 said:
"Actually if anybody is interested in how a Torque Converter works you can see some repudable articles here. They are very hard things to explain, they act as a fluid coupling that based on the rate of flow can multiply TQ for short periods depending on how quickly it exits the strator.

http://www.converter.cc/tech_talk/tech_main.htm
http://www.converter.com/torqueration.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

Typically it's a trade off, Tq multiplication for efficiency. I had a dyno graph somewhere of a tq spike through an unlocked converter, it can jump quite high depending on the converter."

"Yeah just remember a TC is a centrifugal pump, it is never a 1-1 input (like a clutch) until the converter lockup occurs (if it has a lockup clutch). At WOT a converter should never lockup unless you have a multidisk converter which can hold the power your throwing at it.

Maybe a way to explain it is if you spin a bucket of water around, the farther away from your arm (outer diameter) the more kinetic energy is being applied, and it's that momentum of kinetic energy that spins the tranny input harder than the input from the motor. The motor and the converter never spin 1-1 until it locks up. A high stall converter slips for performance reasons because the more power/tq at a higher rpm rule still applies, and in combination with a STR of say 2.5 you are effectively mulitplyng the torque at the given rpm more than twice what the motor is generating.

As an example, say if my car makes 350 rwt at 4000 and I have a 4000 rpm TC w/ a 2.0 STR, at a flash stall on the line the car will lay down approx 700 rwt for only but a few second, then it will gradually tail off as you pass the 1000ft mark. I will ask my tuner for any dyno graphs that he may have showing an unlocked car on the dyno. The spike itself since it is something that happens at low speeds is hard to reproduce on the dyno, but in many real aggressive car's (3 or 2 speed, non-lockup) you can see the TQ line WAY over the HP at the start of the pull and not pan out till the 5200rpm mark."

B

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
imagine a TC like a clutch. When you slip the clutch out some, the RPM's raise and you take off. A TC 'slips' like a clutch, letting the engibe rev more on take off. So a stock TC releases at 1200-1500, and you can get one that does 3500-3600. Now this doesn't mean you will hit 3500 before the truck even moves, it will at alot less, but it will 'flash' (meaning raise to that RPM) faster, which get's you more into the engines peak RPM and TQ output range, faster.

But adding a TC, you will generate more heat, so use the biggest tranny cooler you can find :)

deuceizloose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I came to this Post!

The Only thing I haven't bought yet.....I need a Tranny Cooler...a good one. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

As Far as TQ converters....I don't know alot about them other than what blueflamed said...it jumps your RPMs when you put your foot in it.

I went with the Yank Truck Thruster 3000. I called Yank talked to a rep, and for what I am doing this was the best fit, feels factory when cruising. You will tell the difference when I get on it though.....well thats what he said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts