Torque converter recommendations 6l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as the title states, I believe I am in the market for a torque converter I am fairly certain mine is taking a shit (stock transmission)
2012 yukon xl denali AWD @130k
looking online the 278mm Circle D comes up often I am not currently planning on doing launches or other ridiculous stuff but I do drive pretty hard so a slight seat of the pants performance is nice but not required. My preference is a mix of both performance and longevity, I don't want to have to replace it 2 years from now because it took a shit like the stock one is.

you may wonder why I think my TC is taking a shit? well pretty much since I have owned the vehicle every once in a blue moon I would get a random TC shudder at 30-40mph usually while easy on the pedal no big deal I felt it but it was not very often, lately this has progressed to a 1-2 shift pause if I get on it hard and only when I get on it hard, I am also getting shudder at highway speed it's not fully locking up like it normally does I can feel it (afm is disabled it's not that), I am also getting crap for fuel economy but that is nothing new.

I am thinking replace the torque converter and minor rebuild of typical wear items?

looking for recommendations. thanks

Chert_Detective

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do confirm it is the converter, you won't go wrong with Circle D. There are some more affordable options if you won't be racing but a sub 3000rpm 278mm would work wonderfully. I run a 258mm Circle D in mine and love it.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Factory ZL1/CTSV (part 24242552) 300mm converter is built like a tank, it would perform like stock or you could send it to Circle D and they can up the stall speed to ~2500rpm for you...I see one on eBay right now for $397

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Factory ZL1/CTSV (part 24242552) 300mm converter is built like a tank, it would perform like stock or you could send it to Circle D and they can up the stall speed to ~2500rpm for you...I see one on eBay right now for $397
any idea what they charge to do that?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact symptoms but mine was with the 4spd.

It turned out to be the warn tcc bore leaking fluid by, it would basically lock and unlock a billion times (the shudder) at those exact speeds and during lock-up. I cant tell yah how long it took me to figure out what it was but, a member over at LS1Tech spent quite a bit of time with me helping me pinpoint what it was.

I am not familiar with 6spds and am unsure of what there weak points are but, the tcc bore wearing is a common problem with the 4l60e trans. I got a Fitzall valve to cure the problem. Unfortunately I need a larger gasket because it does still shudder ever so slightly. And I'm not sure if the shop used a boring tool when installing my shift kit jr. I think I need a new valve body all together because of the wear in the bore.

As for a stall. I had a Yank 3200 billet stall in my 2dr with an FLT Trans and in my 07 I have an FTI 2800/3000 billet stall and a shift kit jr. The Yank was very noticeable in the 2dr, probably because of the built trans and it was about 1k pound lighter. The 07 shifts quick through all the gears with no lag but, it has been tuned and I am not sure of the what exactly was done, its been too long.

I daily drove the 2dr for 5 years with zero issues, towed all my shit to NC in a 7x14 enclosed trailer no issues and made several trips from Boston to NC no issues.
My 07 basically the same but took about a hundred 2 hour trips loaded up with zero issues besides the shit the original shop put me through. But, that's another story. I think I may have a thread about it somewhere around here.

Well, thats enough of me blabbing Happy Nov 1st

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact symptoms but mine was with the 4spd.

It turned out to be the warn tcc bore leaking fluid by, it would basically lock and unlock a billion times (the shudder) at those exact speeds and during lock-up. I cant tell yah how long it took me to figure out what it was but, a member over at LS1Tech spent quite a bit of time with me helping me pinpoint what it was.

I am not familiar with 6spds and am unsure of what there weak points are but, the tcc bore wearing is a common problem with the 4l60e trans. I got a Fitzall valve to cure the problem. Unfortunately I need a larger gasket because it does still shudder ever so slightly. And I'm not sure if the shop used a boring tool when installing my shift kit jr. I think I need a new valve body all together because of the wear in the bore.

As for a stall. I had a Yank 3200 billet stall in my 2dr with an FLT Trans and in my 07 I have an FTI 2800/3000 billet stall and a shift kit jr. The Yank was very noticeable in the 2dr, probably because of the built trans and it was about 1k pound lighter. The 07 shifts quick through all the gears with no lag but, it has been tuned and I am not sure of the what exactly was done, its been too long.

I daily drove the 2dr for 5 years with zero issues, towed all my shit to NC in a 7x14 enclosed trailer no issues and made several trips from Boston to NC no issues.
My 07 basically the same but took about a hundred 2 hour trips loaded up with zero issues besides the shit the original shop put me through. But, that's another story. I think I may have a thread about it somewhere around here.

Well, thats enough of me blabbing Happy Nov 1st
The owner at the local transmission shop told me the weak point in the 6l80's is the TC, he said when they blow they take the pump out with them he also said something (not sure if he meant the TC or not) get's a crack and start's loosing pressure which I am thinking is maybe where I am at with it based on the mileage it hasn't been slipping per-say it has done it a couple times over the last 3 months, mostly I get the low speed shudder and now shudder when just cruising the highway If I am accelerating it has no issue. it doesn't seem to make any difference if it is warm or cold. That shop is rather expensive but trustworthy, I am sure if I just gave it to him that they would fix it up but since it needs work I figured why not try to get a little better than just fixed without breaking the bank.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lock up clutch in the converter is way too small/weak for our heavy suvs...
So when the converter clutch goes bad it blows all that shit thru a perfectly good transmission
I did the PATC converter. They use a stock GM core and will put the stall whereever
you want. It has about a 40% larger lockup clutch in it...
I believe I paid about $500 for it.. they will want your core back..
I did a 1800 stall which is about 100-200 over stock as I'm using mine for
towing.. I didn't want a "high stall" that would build alot of heat.
I wish I'd done a 2000 rpm stall though.. I think that would be perfect for
a stockish application with a little more umph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts