Torque converter recommendations 6l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lock up clutch in the converter is way too small/weak for our heavy suvs...
So when the converter clutch goes bad it blows all that shit thru a perfectly good transmission
I did the PATC converter. They use a stock GM core and will put the stall whereever
you want. It has about a 40% larger lockup clutch in it...
I believe I paid about $500 for it.. they will want your core back..
I did a 1800 stall which is about 100-200 over stock as I'm using mine for
towing.. I didn't want a "high stall" that would build alot of heat.
I wish I'd done a 2000 rpm stall though.. I think that would be perfect for
a stockish application with a little more umph
Thanks good info I am trying to figure out the best route to go appreciate the input.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubeleive , you would also be surprised at how small the
4-5-6 clutches are... frickin tiny.. I can see the 2 OD gears but 4th gear??
I don't know how these stay together at all !!

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's the Tech-2 say? My pressure is 109 psi all the time. I think you can graph the converter lock up and record it for playback.
I haven't hooked it up yet but I will in the next couple of days, the Silverado has been in the shop for the lift since Friday the lift kit was missing a part it was supposed to be here today but it didn't show up, dropped my *** on the lift kit but I knew the trans was getting funky so just babying it for now mostly, I don't anticipate it just blowing out so I think have a little time to get all my ducks in row.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's the Tech-2 say? My pressure is 109 psi all the time. I think you can graph the converter lock up and record it for playback.
what pressure am I supposed to monitor exactly? i see the solenoids ramping up to 109 as it changes gears

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what pressure am I supposed to monitor exactly? i see the solenoids ramping up to 109 as it changes gears

That's good, that's the pressure on mine and Tom's. I would also watch the converter clutch and see if you see it locking and unlocking during those vibrations. I'll take mine with me tonight when I take my daughter to volley ball practice and have a look to refresh my memory.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one is the converter clutch and what does it show? This a picture of what mine shows cruising about 75mph, I didn't notice it doing anything todayIMG_20201103_093744.jpg IMG_20201103_093653.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one is the converter clutch and what does it show? This a picture of what mine shows cruising about 75mph, I didn't notice it doing anything todayView attachment 261590 View attachment 261591

TCC pressure does vary and that appears normal. I think there's another setting somewhere showing the clutch engagement. I'll be heading out in about two hours and will have a look.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic, still weighing how deep into my truck i want to actually go.
Right now i have my TCC lockup disabled for all speeds except 5 and 6.

180k on my truck, freshened valve body and pressure switches a few weeks ago, shifts fantastic now...

turning off the TCC makes non tow mode much better.
Before it would lock mid throttle during the 1/2 shift. :rolleyes:

Seems like it might be one of those "while i'm in there..." things :D

I used FTI with my Vette, single lockup clutch, 9.5in, 3200 stall.
I have been very happy with my selection!

Skimming their site, looking at their billet 3 disc clutch versions...
https://ftiperformance.com/Street-Racer-Lock-Up-Torque-Converter-95-6L80E-6L90E-SRL8-3.htm

A wee pricy... lol

Nice thing with FTI, email them.
Tell them what your doing, the cam, truck details like weight, etc. and they are pretty awesome at helping you with the choice.

They suggested a converter up in the 5k range, i was unsure so i went with the 3200
I now wish i went higher, but i'm still very happy with the converter.
They also give you one free stall adjustment, but you need to pull the converter and ship it back and all....