Too much rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kadil29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here! Looking at buying a 2017 Tahoe with 70,000 miles from a dealership. My concern is the rust. I’m in New England and the car spent the last 6 years here, is this normal? Thanks! IMG_9694.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9703.jpeg
    IMG_9703.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 10

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like 6 salty winters to me. I'd look down south or out west and make a road trip out of it. That will ONLY get worse and it appears to have set in quite well. Rust makes for difficult, expensive repairs down the road. If you only want 3 to 5 years out of it, you might be OK without too much to replace due to rust

OP
OP
K

Kadil29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like 6 salty winters to me. I'd look down south or out west and make a road trip out of it. That will ONLY get worse and it appears to have set in quite well. Rust makes for difficult, expensive repairs down the road. If you only want 3 to 5 years out of it, you might be OK without too much to replace due to rust
Thank you for the quick response. I’d still be paying off the loan in 3 - 5 years so would like to see it last a lot longer. Ill take your advice and look down south. Also near the ocean so am wondering if this was used as a beach vehicle based on the rust.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From KC, Mo. and saw rust like that and now in the PNW, don't see rust. If vehicle lived near the coast, it would have some surface rust, I see it all the time here in Eugene with vehicles coming from Florence and up and down coast. I have seen a lot worse rust BUT, I am completely spoiled. I freakin' hate rust. @wjburken is right, but I would also tell the seller to pound sand if they don't give you a decent discount because of it but don't expect it because they will sell it to someone that is not looking as close as you. If I just had to have the vehicle, I would get a quote from a company that cleans up all the rust and gives it an undercoat but again, if the rust is deep enough, that will not make a difference.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 Escalade spent 13 years in NYC and every spring I would take it to Northern Blvd at a car wash which had lift and would charge $50 to pressure clean it. Every 2 years I would take my truck to a mechanic that had a lift in queens and would purchase a few cans of WD-40 and spray everything that looked like it was rusted or starting to rust. This paid well because when I sold my truck in Texas there was never a question about rust. Remove the hitch receiver and check it to see if there is rust. I would only buy in CA, AZ or TX.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie here! Looking at buying a 2017 Tahoe with 70,000 miles from a dealership. My concern is the rust. I’m in New England and the car spent the last 6 years here, is this normal? Thanks! View attachment 403428
It could get under control this way. I would spray every week WD-40 for a few months then undercoating. If you get 2-3k off the price it may be worth tackling.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks normal for the area. Every imported Canadian truck I've seen looks like this as well. It's not the frame I would worry about. It's door seams and rear fenders.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the body mounts can trap and hold the crud and really get destroyed without seeing much on the outside until it's too late. That black greasy coating the factory puts on those frames sure doesn't work in the show belt for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn