Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, I think it could depending on how intermittent the problem can be. Try holding the pedal down just about half of a normal pedal push for normal brake action. If the vacuum leak is happening at that time, make sure the engine is running, you may hear a steady constant vacuum air noise while your foot is holding that pedal down about half pressure.

If you hear that, I guarantee you, that booster is bad/failing. If is bad/failing, get it replaced asap. As I have said many times on this forum, brakes are the single most important system on that rig, any rig. You can go fast and handle like a dream but HAVE to stop when you NEED to stop. PERIOD!

Whenever somebody "builds a better mousetrap'" for brakes, I will buy it and install it. Best brakes ever is a must in my opinion.

Besides, I want to see you one of these days in Warrensburg, Mo. and eat all the BBQ you can hold. Sample pic from another thread but I can do this and then some!

Later, going to my American Legion post to help fix one of our lawn tractors. A mechanic's work is never done it seems!

4a030c92-f684-40cb-8300-767df51357e5-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, I think it could depending on how intermittent the problem can be. Try holding the pedal down just about half of a normal pedal push for normal brake action. If the vacuum leak is happening at that time, make sure the engine is running, you may hear a steady constant vacuum air noise while your foot is holding that pedal down about half pressure.

If you hear that, I guarantee you, that booster is bad/failing. If is bad/failing, get it replaced asap. As I have said many times on this forum, brakes are the single most important system on that rig, any rig. You can go fast and handle like a dream but HAVE to stop when you NEED to stop. PERIOD!

Whenever somebody "builds a better mousetrap'" for brakes, I will buy it and install it. Best brakes ever is a must in my opinion.

Besides, I want to see you one of these days in Warrensburg, Mo. and eat all the BBQ you can hold. Sample pic from another thread but I can do this and then some!

Later, going to my American Legion post to help fix one of our lawn tractors. A mechanic's work is never done it seems!

View attachment 351956
I just tried it in park while running. I pushed the pedal 1/2 way, then 3/4's, I don't hear anything. No hissing at all.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes were doing the same when I bought the Yukon.Making that release of air noise n travelling down halfway. So much so that Tom failed it on a warrant of fitness claiming it was a failing brake master. So I got a new 1 from Rock,bled it up and is the same. Pulls up good when the discs have warmed up. Might bleed again soon to see if any difference.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Took the truck for a drive today and I heard a very low grinding noise. I thought it was the ds cv axle finally giving up the ghost. The boot has been torn for a few years. Got out and looked underneath, nothing jumped out at me, so I said F it. Drove it about 40 miles round trip. Seemed to be getting louder as I was getting closer to home. Got out and looked at the wheel and noticed the outer edge of the rotor was getting a little scored, so I thought maybe something with the brakes on that side. Get home and take everything apart. 346684-fbcf0a5e99035f76de2084452a6ee9c5.jpg
I started moving the axle around and it started raining these bearings.346685-12a36ec1c596ddd19c56d8193fde0922.jpg
The rotor doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking I might be able to slap the brakes back together without having to clean up the rotor. Suggestions on that?
There's just a little bit of play.

This is when I put the wheel back on. Think there's 3 lugs holding it with them tight.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Little bit of JB Weld and will be good as new. :chewie:

Man, that is some loose s-H*I-t right there! Lucky it did not come flying off on ya! The only thing holding it was the brake pads and caliper.

Really is as bad as I have EVER SEEN!
It wasn't that loose when I jacked it up to take the wheel off. That happened once the wheel was off and I started to turn the hub, that's when all the bearings started to fall out. Went to the parts store and bought a new cv axle--hoping it was only that, but in the back of my mind I thought that would've been way too easy--YUP--Came home and ordered a Timkin hub from Amazon. Coming Thursday, so the h-o-e will be down til next Saturday. 20211009_192221.jpg

Last edited:

Imlow78

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 351956

I don’t know who cooked that garbage but it don’t look fit to eat.

LoL

Also if you need a hub I got one that’s still good from my front end rebuild.

Shannon

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't that loose when I jacked it up to take the wheel off. That happened once the wheel was off and I started to turn the hub, that's when all the bearings started to fall out. Went to the parts store and bought a new cv axle--hoping it was only that, but in the back of my mind I thought that would've been way too easy--YUP--Came home and ordered a Timkin hub from Amazon. Coming Thursday, so the **€ will be down til next Saturday. View attachment 352352
Good thing for that big ass axle nut holding the thing together. No your brake pads and caliper weren’t the only thing holding your wheel on….:crazy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts