Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Started the Hoe to get some pizza and I get a loud tap coming from under the driver side valve cover. Gonna try some Sea Foam in the oil. Weird, came out of no where. I've never had any kind of issue with any valve train noise before.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started the Hoe to get some pizza and I get a loud tap coming from under the driver side valve cover. Gonna try some Sea Foam in the oil. Weird, came out of no where. I've never had any kind of issue with any valve train noise before.

Only takes about 10 minutes to pop off that cover and inspect. Or is it only for a few seconds after startup and not constant?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Only takes about 10 minutes to pop off that cover and inspect. Or is it only for a few seconds after startup and not constant?
It stayed constant, but seemed not as loud. Pizza place was only 2 mins away, so it wasn't running that long. I'll leave it home today, as I don't really know what to do yet. What do you think about pouring some Sea Foam in there? I just had an oil change done a few hundred miles ago.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to determine if it’s lifter tick or exhaust leak before doing anything. They sound very similar. The time I thought I had lifter tick, I freaked out until I put a long screwdriver to my ear and used it like a stethoscope on both heads. They sounded the same, no noticeable loud knocks. Then I pulled the header on that side and could see where it had an exhaust leak. New header gasket fixed it, no more ticking.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. I thought I had lifter noise as well, but was really happy to find broken exhaust manifold bolts!

ETA: speaking of: I got the ARH longtubes installed Friday, but heard a strange noise as soon as I drove off. I found at least 1 spark plug was loose in the socket, and I’m praying that’s all that it is. At my buddy’s shop now, because I don’t have a socket that will fit in that super tight space to tighten them up.

ETA2: so there were a total of 6 plugs loose in the sockets!! This, and also the tubes were contacting several heat shields and the transmission cooler lines. I’m so glad it was a simple fix!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Try to determine if it’s lifter tick or exhaust leak before doing anything. They sound very similar. The time I thought I had lifter tick, I freaked out until I put a long screwdriver to my ear and used it like a stethoscope on both heads. They sounded the same, no noticeable loud knocks. Then I pulled the header on that side and could see where it had an exhaust leak. New header gasket fixed it, no more ticking.
Great advice Mark. I was just so disgusted, I couldn"t even think. The noise sounded like it was going through the exhaust--like it was reverberating through it--if that makes sense. I drove my work van today, just in case. With everything else going on in my life, def don't need this!!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great advice Mark. I was just so disgusted, I couldn"t even think. The noise sounded like it was going through the exhaust--like it was reverberating through it--if that makes sense. I drove my work van today, just in case. With everything else going on in my life, def don't need this!!
Let us know Tony. Wishing the best for ya.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It stayed constant, but seemed not as loud. Pizza place was only 2 mins away, so it wasn't running that long. I'll leave it home today, as I don't really know what to do yet. What do you think about pouring some Sea Foam in there? I just had an oil change done a few hundred miles ago.

I wouldn't do anything with the oil just yet.

I skipped right past suggesting you check the exhaust gasket first since you're more familiar with these things than many others. But, as the others said, confirm the source of the sound first. If you can rule out the gasket, then pop off a cover. If it's a lifter or anything in the valve train, running it may only make things worse.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything with the oil just yet.

I skipped right past suggesting you check the exhaust gasket first since you're more familiar with these things than many others. But, as the others said, confirm the source of the sound first. If you can rule out the gasket, then pop off a cover. If it's a lifter or anything in the valve train, running it may only make things worse.
I'm really hoping it's that. I only replaced the header gasket on the pass side last summer, so the driver side still has the ****** gasket on it.
Let us know Tony. Wishing the best for ya.
Thank you @Sam Harris I really appreciate the good wishes. And thx to everyone who has replied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne