to grease or not to grease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstrada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Should the slip yoke be greased going into the transfercase? One person said not to because the grease could contaminate the fluid in the transfer case. Also what type fluid is used in the transfer case and the diffs Thanks for the help in advance

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should the slip yoke be greased going into the transfercase? One person said not to because the grease could contaminate the fluid in the transfer case. Also what type fluid is used in the transfer case and the diffs Thanks for the help in advance
First off welcome to the forum from Iowa.

What does your owners manual state for the transfer case and differentials?

It would help if you shared a little more about what you’re driving. A Tahoe with a 2 speed transfer case takes different fluid, Auto Trac II, than a Denaliwith AWD which takes DEXTRON VI, same as your transmission.

I don’t believe there is typically a need to lubricate the splines going into the transfer case, but others may differ in their opinion.

Since you didn’t specify what you’re driving, I’m assuming you have a 1500 and not a 2500 or 3500. That would mean the spec is 80W90 GL-5 for the front and 75W90 synthetic for the rear. If you have the G80 rear end, you do not need limited slip additive.

Again, this should all be in your owners manual as well.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all the newer transfer cases can use dextron 6? But don't take my word as gospel. I've used both the auto track fluid and dextron in my previous vehicles with the 2 range t-case and never had an issue.

As for the splines, I used a white moly grease on my 2000 silverado when they had that annoying clunk. There was a tsb about it, but that was 15 years ago. I covered all the splines with a nice, even coat and then worked the shaft back and forth to work it in, then reapplied. Worked great for 100k

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the spline clunk, get a nickel plated spline, which will resolve the clunk issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz