To AFM or not AFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ttocsn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2007 Yukon to replace my 2001 Yukon. Been reading about AFM and its pros and cons. My question is this truck has run perfectly for 150K with 100% factory setting. After reading some of the posts part of me is thinking I need to delete AFM ASAP. The other part thinks its worked perfectly for 150K and “if it aint broke don’t fix it”.

Opinions appreciated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2007 Yukon to replace my 2001 Yukon. Been reading about AFM and its pros and cons. My question is this truck has run perfectly for 150K with 100% factory setting. After reading some of the posts part of me is thinking I need to delete AFM ASAP. The other part thinks its worked perfectly for 150K and “if it aint broke don’t fix it”.

Opinions appreciated.
Do you have this truck's service records? It's possible that it was done about 50K miles ago. Either way, keep up with regular oil changes, don't flush the block, try to use the same oil as the the previous oil. Dirty, old oil is AFMs worst enemy.

You could leave it and set aside the money for a physical delete when the first signs of trouble come. You could also disable it so that it no longer goes into V4 mode. The latter option is what I chose to do 5 years ago with mine. No AFM issues since.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the 2007 Yukon have AFM?

My 2007 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 has the hardware installed in the motor, but the software was not installed by GM on that specific model and year, and thus there is effectively no AFM.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have this truck's service records? It's possible that it was done about 50K miles ago. Either way, keep up with regular oil changes, don't flush the block, try to use the same oil as the the previous oil. Dirty, old oil is AFMs worst enemy.

You could leave it and set aside the money for a physical delete when the first signs of trouble come. You could also disable it so that it no longer goes into V4 mode. The latter option is what I chose to do 5 years ago with mine. No AFM issues since.

^^^I agree with this. Gauge your decision based on its maintenance history and/or what you do know of it. If in question, it's safer to disable it. I like the setting aside money to delete it idea. What you can take away from this is that it's not saving you enough money to outweigh the expense of repairing it. Not by a long shot. If a real tune by a reputable tuner for improved drivability and power is in your plans or budget, then that would be most advised and you can have it disabled along with that tune. Or, for about $60, you can have just the AFM disabled >HERE<.

My 2007 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 has the hardware installed in the motor, but the software was not installed by GM on that specific model and year, and thus there is effectively no AFM.

Good point. We don't know what Yukon the OP has.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't know you had one those Joe! Very early production, made before April 2005 (engine) if memory serves.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon Denali w/6.2 doesn't have all the hardware. Example: smooth VLOM

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I just take care to keep clean oil in mine, it will never see an OCI more than 5k and often less depending on conditions. I’m not willing to open up an engine that’s operating fine, considering 99% of drivers don’t even know this potential problem exists.

If I were inside for any reason, I’d remove it, but just my opinion its not worth going in for this hazard alone.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I agree with @Bill 1960 mine has 220,000 miles with no AFM problems to date.

My plan if it fails will be replace the motor, do a delete and build a few few more HP into it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645