Tire size with a (axle capacity) twist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I did some searching and haven't seen this addressed... I'll be lifting and upgrading tires. But to what is the question. Lift questions will come later, as I figure tire size -> lift size. No matter what lift I go with, the CV angles will run straight at rest, just like factory. I will not run any overextended CV for my intended use.

My use will be for a daily driver when we travel cross country in the summers, as well as a lot of trail riding, which can run the gamut from decent dirt forest roads to some of the middle rated trails in places like Moab and the Colorado mountains. Lots of washboard and potholes. If the Corona gets over with and we go to AK the frost heaves will bottom your suspension on paved roads.

So I want all the tire I can safely run, with reliability being job #1. I don't want to be replacing bushings or ball joints every year, and I don't want to snap a CV or blow the front diff, which my reading tells me is the weakest link. I won't be aggressively climbing rock ledges or intentional abuse, but there's time in the outback where stuff happens and trail conditions are not what you expected.

The contenders:
35"- I see a lot of GM half tons running these. Of course most of what I see is on pavement. I don't meet these trucks out on the trails very often. Is this tire size a recipe for snap-crackle-pop under adverse terrain and loads?

34"- most likely in 285/75/17. Not so many tire choices, but they're out there.

33"- 285/70/17. Seems to be a lot of IFS trucks running these with minimal leveling. I see this as the best choice for drivetrain durability.

So what do you say; what's your experience? Or am I in the wrong room and should I take this over to Pirate4x4? :driver:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some searching and haven't seen this addressed... I'll be lifting and upgrading tires. But to what is the question. Lift questions will come later, as I figure tire size -> lift size. No matter what lift I go with, the CV angles will run straight at rest, just like factory. I will not run any overextended CV for my intended use.

My use will be for a daily driver when we travel cross country in the summers, as well as a lot of trail riding, which can run the gamut from decent dirt forest roads to some of the middle rated trails in places like Moab and the Colorado mountains. Lots of washboard and potholes. If the Corona gets over with and we go to AK the frost heaves will bottom your suspension on paved roads.

So I want all the tire I can safely run, with reliability being job #1. I don't want to be replacing bushings or ball joints every year, and I don't want to snap a CV or blow the front diff, which my reading tells me is the weakest link. I won't be aggressively climbing rock ledges or intentional abuse, but there's time in the outback where stuff happens and trail conditions are not what you expected.

The contenders:
35"- I see a lot of GM half tons running these. Of course most of what I see is on pavement. I don't meet these trucks out on the trails very often. Is this tire size a recipe for snap-crackle-pop under adverse terrain and loads?

34"- most likely in 285/75/17. Not so many tire choices, but they're out there.

33"- 285/70/17. Seems to be a lot of IFS trucks running these with minimal leveling. I see this as the best choice for drivetrain durability.

So what do you say; what's your experience? Or am I in the wrong room and should I take this over to Pirate4x4? :driver:

There's a guy on here who overlands with a Tahoe and has a build thread about it. You can also run 275-65-20s which are also a 34" tire with a 7" sidewall. BFG also makes a 34 x 10.5 x 17 with 8 inches of sidewall and no need to get too wide a tire or bigger wheels.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Not sure what year you have, but GM has engineered their current trucks to withstand the rotational mass of a 22”x 9” wheel on 32” tires. The main effort is turning those big wheels. If you’re going to stay in the 17” wheel size, then I’d say you’re definitely good to roll 35’s. Let me know if you bust anything in a year though and I’ll stand corrected. ;)

For not a very good comparison...had a ‘93 Jeep Wrangler with 4” Suspension lift and beefy 33x14.50 tires fitted to 15x12 wheels. Lasted 3 years before I broke anything... a U-Joint. Did heavy off roading too.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Mine’s an ‘08. It’s in the sig, but I’m always forgetting how many people read on a phone and the signatures don’t display.

It’s also the SSV, which AFAIK the only difference suspension wise is possibly bigger brakes and anti roll bars which are massive.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Mine’s an ‘08. It’s in the sig, but I’m always forgetting how many people read on a phone and the signatures don’t display.

I’ve always wondered where this so called signature line was. Thanks for clearing that up with me, as I use a phone.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
It’s also the SSV, which AFAIK the only difference suspension wise is possibly bigger brakes and anti roll bars which are massive.

Do you have 17” wheels on there now with the bigger brakes? On my non SSV I wouldn’t be able to fit larger brakes with my 17” wheels. Mines an ‘07.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve always wondered where this so called signature line was. Thanks for clearing that up with me, as I use a phone.

If you turn your phone sideways, you can see the signature line at the bottom. At least this works if you are in a web browser. Not sure about Tapatalk as I refuse to use it.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a guy on here who overlands with a Tahoe and has a build thread about it. You can also run 275-65-20s which are also a 34" tire with a 7" sidewall. BFG also makes a 34 x 10.5 x 17 with 8 inches of sidewall and no need to get too wide a tire or bigger wheels.
@Bill 1960 There are more than one who overland. You might be refering to @Tozan , I believe he has a lift. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/two-seat-tahoe-overlander-build.111437/

I also overland, but with no lift. I did add 265/65/17 KO2s, so got a half inch or so that way.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Do you have 17” wheels on there now with the bigger brakes? On my non SSV I wouldn’t be able to fit larger brakes with my 17” wheels. Mines an ‘07.

I have the 17” steelies on it right now with 265/70/17. I do not know for sure what the brakes are, I haven’t measured and I haven’t got the RPO list yet. They are certainly more than adequate. Best braking of anything in my current collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins