Tire size for 22" wheels and 3"/4" drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really looking for feedback from those of you who drive your GMT900's a lot. What size tire do you all recommend? I take my Tahoe everywhere, sometimes 5+ hour trips. I am only looking for mileage here, with no concerns over speed or load ratings. I am pretty big on brand, so I can figure that out....I just want to really know what size tire I should go with.

My only real desire is to NOT have low profile, I want sidewall so my beer doesn't foam when I hit pebbles in the road.

As most of you who click on this thread know, tire cost is pretty equally proportional to width. I'm not looking for steamrollers either, just want a good riding tire that I can maintain.

TIA

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I would delete this, I would. I bit the bullet and bought some 275/45 Kumho Crugen's, we shall see how good or bad they do.

If a mod sees this, feel free to nuke it. I already bothered Nathan to move it once. :p

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really looking for feedback from those of you who drive your GMT900's a lot. What size tire do you all recommend? I take my Tahoe everywhere, sometimes 5+ hour trips. I am only looking for mileage here, with no concerns over speed or load ratings. I am pretty big on brand, so I can figure that out....I just want to really know what size tire I should go with.

My only real desire is to NOT have low profile, I want sidewall so my beer doesn't foam when I hit pebbles in the road.

As most of you who click on this thread know, tire cost is pretty equally proportional to width. I'm not looking for steamrollers either, just want a good riding tire that I can maintain.

TIA

Most with a drop try to fit the stock size of ~32". Pretty much all are guaranteed to have some rubbing to some extent. But, keeping the stock size or close to it is usually the goal to avoid affecting the speedometer, gearing and, in extreme cases, the shifting.

With my current drop and planned further drop, I wanted to get a hair smaller size, primarily for a narrower width to help reduce rubbing. So, instead of 285/45 for my 22s, I got 275/45. It's a very minute difference. But, it's something and it's still a factory-spec'ed tire width. It's also the stock size for a '20 F-150 Limited and I scored some sub-3K-mile take-off Pirellis for $380. So, that sealed the deal for me on that size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering that hasn't found what they need elsewhere, this is the Belltech 752SP kit (3"/4" drop). With the 22" Transports and 275/45, I have zero rub at full lock both ways.

Attachments

• 20230320_171411.jpg
    20230320_171411.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230320_171340.jpg
    20230320_171340.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: