Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PostOakGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i went to discount tire company the other day to get a tire repaired. At first they said they could repair just one tire, then they called and said it was to close to shoulder.

I decided to get all new tires and I asked for Michelin even though they were trying to sell me Bridgestone. I was pissed because they were trying to charge me 1200 for tires and I’ve been going to that store for years.

However, I just realized today that those assholes put Michelin 275-60-20 on. There ******* huge and to me it isn’t as smooth as the tires I replaced.

What Michelin tire should I make them exchange for? 275-55-20 or go to a 265 Michelin?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
i went to discount tire company the other day to get a tire repaired. At first they said they could repair just one tire, then they called and said it was to close to shoulder.

I decided to get all new tires and I asked for Michelin even though they were trying to sell me Bridgestone. I was pissed because they were trying to charge me 1200 for tires and I’ve been going to that store for years.

However, I just realized today that those assholes put Michelin 275-60-20 on. There ******* huge and to me it isn’t as smooth as the tires I replaced.

What Michelin tire should I make them exchange for? 275-55-20 or go to a 265 Michelin?
How about just putting the size tires that were on there already?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Sierra Denali has 275/55-20 on it. I got Michelin LTX MS/2 from Costco. Have had them for 2 years, good ride, decent in bad weather, nothing like my Duratracs but this is my hotrod, not my foul-weather vehicle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If your GMT-900 had 20" wheels, the original size is 275-55-20.

As for the shoulder repair, that is probably bogus. Some tire stores like Tire Kingdom, are using an "industry standard" of not making repairs to a tire even if its in the outside tread blocks. This is crap as I used to run TKs and we plugged tires with success often right on the shoulder. Now they only patch them for fear of broken belts. They pulled that crap on me a few months back so I called BF Goodrich and they said the tire was repairable but TK still wanted to sell me a new tire. I went across the street and fired TK forever.

As for the Michelins, be certain of which one they put on. The LTX MS/2 would be my choice for a highway tire.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If your GMT-900 had 20" wheels, the original size is 275-55-20.

As for the shoulder repair, that is probably bogus. Some tire stores like Tire Kingdom, are using an "industry standard" of not making repairs to a tire even if its in the outside tread blocks. This is crap as I used to run TKs and we plugged tires with success often right on the shoulder. Now they only patch them for fear of broken belts. They pulled that crap on me a few months back so I called BF Goodrich and they said the tire was repairable but TK still wanted to sell me a new tire. I went across the street and fired TK forever.

As for the Michelins, be certain of which one they put on. The LTX MS/2 would be my choice for a highway tire.
Places today just want to sell you a tire or tires--more money in that. I carry around a plug kit.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty cool that you've taught your girls their way around a car, to be familiar with things.

Thanks, we want to give them enough knowledge to not be taken advantage of and to build confidence through doing things that may seem impossible to a girl/youngster. And later it has come out of necessity as I've grown more infirm. Just hold the line girls until my sons (their husbands) come along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod