Tips on replacing calipers & flushing brake fluid.

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by lowpost99, Sep 19, 2019.

1. lowpost99

lowpost99 Member

Name:
    Morgan
    I'm replacing my front calipers only and stainless steel brake hoses for all 4. Any tips on doing this job? Should I flush the brake fluid 1st or after installing the new calipers and lines? I"m thinking that I should flush before exposing the new calipers and hoses to the old fluid.

2. IZZY_BRITTON

IZZY_BRITTON Member

Name:
    Izzy
    IMO, you could flush your rears first.

Then replace your passenger side front brake line and flush the right front line until clean, attach caliper.

Move to left front, replace line, flush line until clean, attach caliper.

Bleed right front caliper until no air.

Bled left front caliper until no air

Center proportioning valve.

Motor on.

This is all made simple(r) by using a force thru brake bleeder pump. You could use a vacuum bleeder if you can find a way to attach vacuum bleeder to open end of new brake line air tight.

Are you going to upgrade your front calipers and rotors to the gmt900 set up? ( 2007-2014 or 2006 police package brakes)? I hear it is a worthy upgrade. I have all the parts but have not installed them yet. The price difference between 2003 calipers rotors and pads vs 2010 same parts was like 4$.

3. IZZY_BRITTON

IZZY_BRITTON Member

Name:
    Izzy
    Sorry I just re-read your post. Disregard my ramblings about 2007+ upgrades, the other stuff is still relevant.

4. iamdub

iamdub Hold on... Lemme overthink this for a bit...

Name:
    Chris
    I'd flush 'em first. The new/clean fluid that's lost is just a few extra pennies in supplies.

IZZY_BRITTON likes this.
  5. lowpost99

lowpost99 Member

Name:
    Morgan
    I'm replacing my front calipers only and stainless steel brake hoses for all 4. Any tips on doing this job? Should I flush the brake fluid 1st or after installing the new calipers and lines? I"m thinking that I should flush before exposing the new calipers and hoses to the old fluid.

6. lowpost99

lowpost99 Member

Name:
    Morgan
    Yes I am doing the 2007+ upgrade. I got the Power Stop powder coated red calipers and Bosch pads. Police rotors coming from RockAuto hopefully tomorrow. I need direction/info on centering the proportioning valve. I've never heard of this. I'll check into the brake bleeder pump I've never used one. Always the two man method, press pedal, hold, open, close at the caliper.

7. Chris2144

Chris2144 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes I would flush before and bleed it good after. This job will go much quicker if you have a mighty vac to evacuate the fluid. Rear takes a whole reservoir to flush front takes about 75 percent. Suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir first add new fluid then begin flushing. Would be a good idea at this time to take a look at all the hard lines for rust. Also check your master cylinder for leakby. Start the engine then shut off. Push on the brake pedal and hold for a few minutes really like 1 or 2 if the brake pedal drops any you should consider replacing the master cylinder while you are servicing the brake system.

Dcmaynor likes this.
  8. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Just make sure you put a 2x4 on the floor under the pedal. If you overdo it pumping them, you'll wreck the seals in the master.

9. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    You just created this same thread 6 hours ago..... even though it was in "interior"

@07Burb can we merge?

10. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Tips? Replace calipers and rotors with GMT900 calipers and rotors. OEM big brake upgrade.

Tonyrodz likes this.