Tips for Changing the spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterchapman

Reaction score
I sold my previous truck with 198,000 miles. Original plugs & wires. Still ran great when I sold it.
Im with you Blur - I changed the passenger side on my ‘05 Denali at 110,000. Just can’t get to any on the driver’s side. Now 196,000 and running just fine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re not that hard at all, just need the right tools as mentioned earlier. I can change mine in an hour and that involves pulling the inner fender liners because of headers. Before headers I could do them in 1/2 hour. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a 4.8 through the 6.2 it’s the same.

carterchapman

Reaction score
They’re not that hard at all, just need the right tools as mentioned earlier. I can change mine in an hour and that involves pulling the inner fender liners because of headers. Before headers I could do them in 1/2 hour. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a 4.8 through the 6.2 it’s the same.
Thanks for the info. I’ve got the 3 piece Matco magnetic plug wrenches, so I just need to give it another try.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’ve got the 3 piece Matco magnetic plug wrenches, so I just need to give it another try.
The trick with using a standard depth regular socket on the normal plug socket works great for #8, the rear passenger side one. It gets the ratchet out just far enough. I use a 1” extension on my plug socket, it does the same thing. The 1” extensions are hard to find though, SK makes one. But like mentioned, the regular 5/8” plug socket can accept a socket instead of an extension or ratchet because it has a 6-point head. That makes it the perfect length for #8.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Listen to these guys that have done it before. They have figured out the way around the problem. Standard spark plug removal and replacement does not apply on some of these plugs.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to these guys that have done it before. They have figured out the way around the problem. Standard spark plug removal and replacement does not apply on some of these plugs.
It was a royal pain changing the plugs, especially number 8, on my ‘05 Tahoe. There was nothing easy about it!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, but it seems a bit much to complain about the access for 1 plug. I get it. I know it is difficult but it is what it is. It is something else that helps the Tahoes and Yukons and Suburbans stand out above all others. Have dealt with WAY worse over the years of vehicle work and running shops. All it does is make you think harder and develop better curse words. C'mon man!

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but it seems a bit much to complain about the access for 1 plug. I get it. I know it is difficult but it is what it is. It is something else that helps the Tahoes and Yukons and Suburbans stand out above all others. Have dealt with WAY worse over the years of vehicle work and running shops. All it does is make you think harder and develop better curse words. C'mon man!
It’s bad when a guy can’t add a simple, non-offensive comment without being scolded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar