Ticking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Did you ask for a diagnosis of the noise? The tech looked for the noise and heard it or not heard it? Then he says "probably" because he could not pinpoint or did not hear it? Did he look for manifold bolt problems at all?
The noise has been gone for a couple days so I showed him the video. Then he says probably the manifold bolt.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The noise has been gone for a couple days so I showed him the video. Then he says probably the manifold bolt.
But he did not do a cursory inspection of manifold bolts, correct? If he did not, why? Was it something crazy like a minimum 1 hour diagnostic time?

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But he did not do a cursory inspection of manifold bolts, correct? If he did not, why? Was it something crazy like a minimum 1 hour diagnostic time?
I’m not sure. I’ll be talking to him again. I might have him replace my trans cooler lines.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of owners here will always recommend getting documentation of asked for work, work that was done, items found during inspections and why a part or system is bad. My questions are an example of the details I would want from any tech that I pay good money for working/inspecting my rig. I am not a fan of guessing at things and do understand why a qualified tech would want diagnostic time paid for. Those tools have to be paid for somehow. Good luck and please post here or in a different thread you start, about future findings.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first guess would be a stuck lifter since I've been chasing down the same sound recently (and that's exactly what it was).

Like others have said, if you can eliminate everything else (spark plug/wire/coil, exhaust manifold bolt), the valve cover's gotta come off so that you can search for loose rockers.
@Professor L Gee Just so everyone knows, I had this problem and all of my rocker arms were rock solid. My lifter collapsed and when it released it turned sideways in the tray and made a similar sound to this. It wasn’t until I took the head off and inspected the lifter itself is when I found the damage.

A solid rocker arm isn’t a good indicator if there ISNT a problem but a loose rocker arm is a good indicator if there IS a problem.

Reaction score
@Professor L Gee Just so everyone knows, I had this problem and all of my rocker arms were rock solid. My lifter collapsed and when it released it turned sideways in the tray and made a similar sound to this. It wasn’t until I took the head off and inspected the lifter itself is when I found the damage.

A solid rocker arm isn’t a good indicator if there ISNT a problem but a loose rocker arm is a good indicator if there IS a problem.
Good advice.
Sounds like you were one of the unfortunate ones...

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice.
Sounds like you were one of the unfortunate ones...
@Professor L Gee As you can imagine I was sweating bullets when I didn’t find a problem with the rocker arms. When I finally pulled the head and found the smoking gun (tore up lifter) I was yelling “**** yes!” In my driveway, my fiancé came out to see what I was yelling about. It’s not fun to have a rattling motor and then NOT find the problem right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz