Ticking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that noticably in my dads 07 flex 4x4 and it went away immediately after i put new spark plugs and wires in... But now i am wondering if it is the lifters... Please keep us posted on what direction you take and what comes of it ie (what you find out) as this area is my next one after i get the radiator and all its close buddies replaced.
It’s not unheard of for a loose or cross-threaded spark plug to masquerade as a lifter tick.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
But you should definitely know if you cross threaded a plug. I mean, "c'mon man"!

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't sound good to me, but that being said I would take off the belts and start it up and verify that it is not something else, i.e. power steering, water pump, ac compressor, alternator. If the sound is still there then try and look at the fly wheel with a flashlight and mirror thru the inspection plate look for any cracks, get underneath it and see if it might be transmission related or not or if it could be a loose heat shroud, catalytic converter, etc. if nothing pans out then pull the valve cover as mentioned already.
you can also do a oil sample and see if there is anything dramatic going on.
I had a "similar" sound once and it turned out to be a loose bolt in the torque converter but I had a general idea it was transmission related at the time because I had recently had it worked on and the sound was new.
I am just being optimistic, good luck

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'd think! But I've seen it happen, and I'll bet you have too in your ASE master tech career days.
Seen some things that literally made my jaw drop. One of the scenarios we had to deal with at times was a rig towed in, owner carries in a box full of parts they took off to attempt the repair/replacement themselves, then proceed to want to argue with me about why the labor would not be half what the labor guide says because he/she already took it all apart. I could explain, till I was blue in the face, how it doesn't work that way and how a tech would pay attention how things/systems came apart and lay those removed parts out in a certain order sometimes and that cleaning the parts and tapping threads is also part of the process. At that point it was either they said "ok" or I said, "here, take your box of parts and find another shop". Then they would complain about the tow bill getting bigger and I had to remind them there were things called phones for that occasion.

AtHeart1CaliGurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s not unheard of for a loose or cross-threaded spark plug to masquerade as a lifter tick.
I was the first one to change the plugs, they were original... I suspect it was just a coincidence unless it was related to the misfire in cyl 3 (which I was throwing a code for hence why I changed the plugs) that was fixed with the change... I WISH i was knowledgable in this area to be able to offer more than my one experience on this one, but i did find this on YouTube a while back when i first noticed and researched it... maybe it has something helpful to solve your ticking thing
... But i am the furthest thing from a mechanic and just getting started with a Chevy (been a dodge gurl with a chevy dad my whole life).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was the first one to change the plugs, they were original... I suspect it was just a coincidence unless it was related to the misfire in cyl 3 (which I was throwing a code for hence why I changed the plugs) that was fixed with the change... I WISH i was knowledgable in this area to be able to offer more than my one experience on this one, but i did find this on YouTube a while back when i first noticed and researched it... maybe it has something helpful to solve your ticking thing
... But i am the furthest thing from a mechanic and just getting started with a Chevy (been a dodge gurl with a chevy dad my whole life).
Stick around and read thru the threads for top notch answers to lots and lots of questions/concerns. There are some very knowledgeable people on here that know the rigs in and out.

Reaction score
Should I be concerned with the ticking sound? Any guesses what it's from?
My first guess would be a stuck lifter since I've been chasing down the same sound recently (and that's exactly what it was).

Like others have said, if you can eliminate everything else (spark plug/wire/coil, exhaust manifold bolt), the valve cover's gotta come off so that you can search for loose rockers.

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: just got back from the shop. It was time for a tranny service and oil change. I asked about the sound and when I got the truck back he said it wasn’t the lifters and probably a manifold bolt. He said he would change the lifters, cam and put in long tubes if I wanted but it didn’t need it yet.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Update: just got back from the shop. It was time for a tranny service and oil change. I asked about the sound and when I got the truck back he said it wasn’t the lifters and probably a manifold bolt. He said he would change the lifters, cam and put in long tubes if I wanted but it didn’t need it yet.
So, let me get this straight. Did you ask for a diagnosis of the noise? The tech looked for the noise and heard it or not heard it? Then he says "probably" because he could not pinpoint or did not hear it? Did he look for manifold bolt problems at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia